S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

City lights

Old 11-26-2001, 11:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default City lights

Does anyone know how to get city lights to work on the headlights? Are they low wattage light bulb or is it just supplying low voltage to the high beam light bulb? Is this possible with the US light housing? How about the Euro light housing?

Anyone got any info?

Tks,
Jimmy
Old 11-26-2001, 04:55 PM

Sorry, don't quite understand what you're talking about ... Wanna be more specific?
Old 11-26-2001, 04:56 PM

Daytime Running Lights?
Old 11-26-2001, 05:27 PM

Hi guys,

Sorry, let me be more specific.

If you look at the picture, notice how in the high beam area there is a dim light? I personally think that dim brownish light looks pretty cool.

Oh my bmw with european projector light assembly, there is a little socket under the high beam light that is fitted with a 5 watt wedge bulb that are lit when the parking lamps are on. It's called the city light. I was wondering if that is possible with the US house assemply or the euro light assembly? Any ideas?

Tks,
Jimmy
Old 11-26-2001, 05:38 PM

I used to have city lights on my GTi VR6.. They are a small bulb in the headlight housing ( like a parking light for the head lights).. The give a small amount of light but give a unique look to the car.. They are mostly used in Europe.. I would be interested in installing them If anyone has ideas? I know the sell many kits for Vw's
Old 11-26-2001, 05:40 PM
Former Moderator

I'm not positive on which european countries have daytime running lights, but it is mandatory in Canada.
I did some digging on this for another US member some time ago, and as it turns out it is fairly costly, and troublesome to convert it with just Honda OEM parts.

Some companies do offer retrofits for a varity of applications. a search on the net may turn up soemthing.
Old 11-26-2001, 05:43 PM

Those are just my daytime running lights -- Blau Blau took the pic and my car was on warming up.

There's no daytime running lights in the States or Europe???

Also, I think they're dimmer cuz I did the clear headlight conversion, so it's not reflected amber by the reflector thingy.
Old 11-26-2001, 06:38 PM

Shamu,

Question for you.

You said that was day time running lights. Now, when you say day time running lights... are they light from the high beams? Or light from the low beams? Or light from the turn signal area? Or the high beams on low wattage? Like, what bulb is turned on at what full or partial wattage when you say day time running lights?

Thanks a lot!!!

Jimmy
Old 11-26-2001, 08:04 PM
Former Moderator

Day time running lights use the High beam, at a reduced wattage. the turn signals are not on while the DTRL are. so its not like turning your lights one notch.
The backs remain unlit.
Old 11-26-2001, 08:18 PM

You got it Mindcore! They're low-power high-beams...hmmm...I'm not sure exactly what bulb they are -- there's 3 in your housing: 1 HID, 1 bigger bulb (for turn signal) and 1 small amber bulb...I believe the small amber bulb is the hi-beam...

Jump in if I'm wrong guys.

Quick Reply: City lights