S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Choosing an exhaust

Old 11-22-2004, 09:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Choosing an exhaust

I really like how the a stock s2000 sounds.

I also really dislike fart cans, loud exhausts, etc.

I am interested in finding an aftermarket exhaust which is quiet, maybe a max of 5-6 dB louder than stock, and if possible, something that sounds similar. Future performance gains are of my primary concern. Also, are oval exhaust tips available for that particular exhaust? I would like to keep the car looking stock.

Does a quiet exhaust have any effect on future FI mods?

What is the effect of keeping the stock exhaust with the vortech/comtech SC kit? (what is the magnitude of the negative effect? numbers please, no theory)

In the case of a turbo application, are there any available exhausts which are quiet, while having enough flow to keep backpressure to a minimum?

Cost is not a factor, only quality.

If the exhaust is LOUD, i DO NOT want to hear about it; i do not wish to draw attention to my car and i prefer to hear my engine, not hear/feel the exhaust =)

FYI, this pertains to a MY05 s2000, if that is of any importance.

*edit*

as stated above, i'd like to keep the car looking stock. Therefore, i am interested in a dual exhaust setup.

*edit*

seems general consensus is that the Mugen or Fujitsubo exhausts are the ones to go with, or possibly removing the resonator.

As stated before, the only reason i consider an exhaust is the potential for extra hp in the case that i decide to go the FI route later on.

THanks for the input guys =)
Old 11-22-2004, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if your gonna go s/c, comptech makes an exhaust that is not too loud and compatable with your needs.. it might also be compatable to turbo application as long as you dont get too crazy with upping the boost..
Old 11-22-2004, 09:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I'm not sure if this is of any help but single exhaust are louder than dual exhaust and if you go turbo later on down the road, you'll need to get a 3 inch pipe 72 mm exhaust which is not as loud as most other exhaust.

As for which is the quietest .......dunno
Old 11-22-2004, 10:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd prefer to keep the car looking stock, so dual exhaust is what i am looking for.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:53 PM

if you want to keep the car looking stock, then you should keep the stock exhaust. the stock system is a very nice piece of work. for forced induction, the same exhaust on a SC vs. turbo will sound very different, just the nature of FI. to maximize your turbo power, you will want at least a 3 inch exhaust system in a single app. quiet exhaust w/ turbo is possible, but why lose HP over it.

with what you want, you will prolly want to get a SC and keep the stock system. or get the supersprint, that has your oval tips.

but i wouldnt look into a turbo set up, i think you will not find what you are looking for there.

(but turbos are soooo much more fun!)
Old 11-23-2004, 05:05 AM
mav

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want the best exhaust, look no further than Amuse.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by psychoazn,Nov 23 2004, 02:30 AM
If the exhaust is LOUD, i DO NOT want to hear about it; i do not wish to draw attention to my car and i prefer to hear my engine, not hear/feel the exhaust =)

^ amuse may be too loud for him.. I'd have to recommend Mugen
Old 11-23-2004, 06:09 AM

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Resonator-ectomy!

This will give you 95% of what you're looking for, for very close to free.
Do a search and read the responses of those that have gone this route, and see if you don't agree.
When / if you go the forced-induction route, you'll probably want to find something tailored to your specific needs at that point.......

Brian
(you could always add oval tips later, if still desired )
Old 11-23-2004, 06:25 AM

^^ that is a nice setup for superchargers still keeping the stock look.
And for vortec/comptech you might want the comptech exhaust. it's quite and looks stock. actually looks great. doesn't sound like a can on those civic. there is a s2000 library with exhaust sounds. where you can see the different exhausts and how they sound..

as for turbo's you would either want a custom made single out 3 inch exhaust with or without muffler. plus test pipe. and o2 simulator

i hate attention too. that is why i'm selling my car. i'm a busy man and i don't need 20 random what car is that. but the two suggestions up there is the best route. that is the turbo exhaust i had. all custom. three inches straight out w/o muffler. it was loud imo but it was the quietest for performane gains
Old 11-23-2004, 06:42 AM

S2000 Library is the website that azndrunkyoon was referring to. Has a lot of vid/sound clips of exhausts.

Quick Reply: Choosing an exhaust