S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Chirping Tires @ 60 mph

Old 12-02-2006, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by importkid,Nov 30 2006, 09:07 PM
If he doesn't know what hooking up is I didn't wanna hit him with that many terms and explinations.
When he said "hooking up" I thought he was referring to the clutch catching and not slipping; Rather than the contact of the tires with the road.

and thanks for saving my poor brain from big scary terms!
Old 01-08-2007, 06:42 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I finally did it! Chirp the tires going 65-67 mph!
I wasn't even trying really... I had given up tryin' long ago. Some of you guys said it just cannot be done so I let it be... but today, I figured its been awhile since I tested the ol' Vtec so I said, what the heck...

I was cruising around 65mph on 6th, pressed the clutch, shift to 3rd, let go of the clutch (jerked the car back for a tiny split second), slammed the gas pedal to the floor and CHIRP IT!

What I've been trying to do before was do all the above in one smooth motion. That was actually the complete opposite of what you have to do. Just casually drop to third, let it jerk back for a SPLIT second and floor that baby!

It is possible. In stock form too!

Who needs a stickin' Z4!
Old 01-08-2007, 07:35 PM
Former Moderator

Oh my dear sweet Jesus.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:36 PM
Former Moderator

That's called a missed shift.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:47 PM

our cars can transmit lots of torque to the wheels.

it does it through a magical thing called the transmission
Old 01-08-2007, 07:55 PM

Prime example of why I won't buy a used car. Somebody may have been trying to chirp the tires at X speed, and just unmercifully abusing the drivetrain.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:23 PM

So in reality, you're saying that you'd downshifted from 6th to 3rd at 65mph without double clutching so it stresses out the tranny. That's no fun, looks more like a person that don't know how to drive a stick or a rookie.

Double clutching-rather than going straight to the next gear, makes a stop in neutral and then the clutch is released. This is to allow the engine to slow down (or with a tap on the gas, speed up when downshifting) so the transition into the next gear is much more smooth. The driver then depresses the clutch again and completes the shift into the target gear, and finally the clutch is released again, putting the car back into gear. It only takes a split second for the engine speed to match the speed of the gears, so the entire action is done very quickly as a fluid sequence of events.
Old 01-09-2007, 06:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are actually two ways to chirp the tires:

1. Accelerate suddenly, spinning the tires for a second
2. Briefly lock the tires up, causing them to stop spinning.

A missed shift can chirp the transmission because when you downshift, the engine isn't spinning as fast as it needs to be to get the tires up to their current speed. When you connect the faster-moving tires to the slower-moving engine through the transmission, the tires try to speed the engine up (possible causing a Mechanical Over-rev, very very bad) and the engine is also trying to slow the wheels down. Anyone outside the car can briefly see the wheels stop spinning and won't be impressed.

If you notice the wheels chirp just before you get on the gas pedal, then you performed #2, not the much-cooler-but-not-much-better-for-the-car #1
Old 01-09-2007, 10:42 AM

damn i think this is retarded why the hell would you want to rev your car at 60mph and dump the clutch i see this guy going through clutches like crazy ... just do what i did boost it and you will spin tire like crazy even at 60MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOO
Old 01-09-2007, 11:04 AM
Banned

with my stock s2000 I could not do chirp them
With the SC installed now if I do it the tires will spin. Just installed new tires today so we will see what happens today.

Quick Reply: Chirping Tires @ 60 mph