S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Chirping Tires @ 60 mph

Old 11-30-2006, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by importkid,Nov 30 2006, 10:41 PM
Hooking up means your tires are hooking the road. When you spin it is "churping". Like if someone Chirps second, or in this case third. Your not making 100 percent contact with the ground and moving forward with full force.
"Chirping" the tires, and "spinning" the tires, isn't exactly the same thing. When the tires spin, they "squeel." "Chirp" refers to the little squeek after a shift, and it's only momentary. A longer duration in the sound is usually called a "bark." IOW, if you "bark" the tires when you shift, you spin them for several revolutions (and end up losing time), but if you "chirp" the tires only a partial rotation of the tire is involved, as the clutch and tires hook up at the same time. I seriously doubt that any time is lost, because I doubt the percentage of slip ever exceeds the tires peak level. If it does, it's only for a fraction of a second, and you get an extra push from the engines inertia that should more than make up for any miniscule loss. Of course I am assuming that we are accelerating in a straight line. When cornering, this kind of clucth engagement will only upset the balance of the car; Great way to initiate a slide or drift, but not at all the way to go-fast.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Nov 30 2006, 11:00 PM
"Chirping" the tires, and "spinning" the tires, isn't exactly the same thing. When the tires spin, they "squeel." "Chirp" refers to the little squeek after a shift, and it's only momentary. A longer duration in the sound is usually called a "bark." IOW, if you "bark" the tires when you shift, you spin them for several revolutions (and end up losing time), but if you "chirp" the tires only a partial rotation of the tire is involved, as the clutch and tires hook up at the same time. I seriously doubt that any time is lost, because I doubt the percentage of slip ever exceeds the tires peak level. If it does, it's only for a fraction of a second, and you get an extra push from the engines inertia that should more than make up for any miniscule loss. Of course I am assuming that we are accelerating in a straight line. When cornering, this kind of clucth engagement will only upset the balance of the car; Great way to initiate a slide or drift, but not at all the way to go-fast.
If he doesn't know what hooking up is I didn't wanna hit him with that many terms and explinations.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:22 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with all of red's comments (as usual) and this is actually a beginner technique for initiating a drift usually referred to as a "clutch-kick". Basically as you accelerating (or decelerating if going into a corner for drifting) you will basically just kick your clutch pedal all the way in, and all the way out (no feathering, and sidestepping on the way out for us) while not taking your foot all the way off the gas. This will let the engine build rpms and will lock the rear end most likely chirping the tires (even in our cars this can chirp going into third if it's a somewhat cold day, with stock sized tires, and non-s02's since those guys are sticky-icky-icky). And no I don't suggest this, as it causes an extreme amount of force on your drive train, starting the short road to grenading our somewhat fragile differential.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by importkid,Dec 1 2006, 12:07 AM
If he doesn't know what hooking up is I didn't wanna hit him with that many terms and explinations.
I'm not very good at writing short responses.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:30 PM
Banned

My integra is still spinning visciously at 60mph, I dont really stop spinning till around 80.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by AssassinJN,Dec 1 2006, 08:22 AM
I agree with all of red's comments (as usual) and this is actually a beginner technique for initiating a drift usually referred to as a "clutch-kick". Basically as you accelerating (or decelerating if going into a corner for drifting) you will basically just kick your clutch pedal all the way in, and all the way out (no feathering, and sidestepping on the way out for us) while not taking your foot all the way off the gas. This will let the engine build rpms and will lock the rear end most likely chirping the tires (even in our cars this can chirp going into third if it's a somewhat cold day, with stock sized tires, and non-s02's since those guys are sticky-icky-icky). And no I don't suggest this, as it causes an extreme amount of force on your drive train, starting the short road to grenading our somewhat fragile differential.
This is true, however he's trying to chrip in a straight line.
Old 12-01-2006, 04:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by importkid,Dec 1 2006, 03:26 PM
This is true, however he's trying to chrip in a straight line.
Yes... while cruising at 60 mph.
Old 12-01-2006, 05:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think that if this is your goal - chirp your tires at 60 MPH in an S2000 - gotta spend alot of bucks or SELL IT and buy a Z4...
Old 12-02-2006, 06:56 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by fastD,Dec 1 2006, 06:01 PM
I think that if this is your goal - chirp your tires at 60 MPH in an S2000 - gotta spend alot of bucks or SELL IT and buy a Z4...
SELL IT AND BUY A Z4?!?!?! Are you kidding me? The only way I would give up my 02 is to ge me a brand spanking new 07.

This thread is not about any of that (sorry for the confusion). I was just hoping someone would chime in that had done it before using S2000 in stock form.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:22 AM

[QUOTE=S~Factor,Nov 30 2006, 06:55 PM][QUOTE=s2kologist @ Nov 29 2006, 11:23 PM]
why would you want to do this? i would not be impresed i would be scared that iam driving next to an idiot.

Quick Reply: Chirping Tires @ 60 mph