S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Checklist for repair after wreck: thoughts?

Old 05-09-2003, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Checklist for repair after wreck: thoughts?

Its only a week till I get my S back after having hydroplaned into a divider, perhaps at 70mph. I've had a rental (Intrepid) since. As anyone who has driven an Intrepid knows, you have to have a lobotomy to be able to tolerate driving such a mind-numbingly boring car. So, after what will be about 45-50 days of prime driving weather without the S, when I get it back, besides exercising caution, what do I need to watch out for...

Specifically, what might be on your check list when getting your car back from a crash involving primarily passenger side panels, front bumper - both h/light assemblies, tiny right side rail crimp, rear rim and some suspension replacement and the bumper. Nothing in the engine compartment was touched. The car did slide backwards and could still have been in gear (the wreck was so quick that all I got was a slight floating feeling and then BANG, I'm looking at the air bag pressed against my face...didn't even have time or the thought to reach for breaks or feather accelerator. (I was changing lanes from right to left, hit pooled water then hit divider, flush to more on the right side first.) "Only" 12K in damage (insurance specifically denies lost residual value) so no chance to total it. Garage is a Honda/BMW/Mazda/Audi dealership with a good reputation and an up to date and equipped collision center. I've developed a check list, but wonder if its relevant or not. Any help is certainly appreciated.
Old 05-09-2003, 07:39 PM

When I got mine back I looked at the following:

Checked paint matching

Checked that all body panels and gaps between lights etc. were correct.

Check steering rotational play

Check brake pedal for squeeks and general feel

Check for any new noises

check at various speeds for vibrations or "funny" handling

I was very satisfied with the work my body guy SPEEDFREAK from this forum did.

I have had the car all the way back up to 135 MPH with not a single hint of vibration. The total damage was $18k after hitting a patch of black ice at about 20 MPH and hitting a light pole last November. the only thing I noticed after the accident was that the brake pedal was squeeking slightly due to the impact, but was an easy fix. The steering rack is adjustable, so make sure the play is the way you like it when you get it back. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2003, 10:13 PM

Thanks for the nice reply. I'd forgotten about the stering being set when finished. I'll let you know how it comes out.