S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Checking out a used Silver/Red

Old 01-20-2001, 10:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I finally am going to actually look at a used S2K tomorrow. I would appreciate any little tricky stuff I should watch out for, check, ask etc. of the owner. I have done a Carfax which is clean, and will take it to my long-time and trusted Honda independent shop for a check before the deal gets done. Thanks in advance for any tips.
Old 01-20-2001, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ask him about the 1-2 grind and clutch fix. Did he experience any problems and if so, did he have them fixed. How many miles on it?
Old 01-20-2001, 10:20 PM

Just the usual stuff...

Recalls, which ones have been done so far. Ask if it's been in any accidents (you'd be surprised). See all service records, oil changes. Check fluid levels, check body, check with the DMV (outstanding tickets) and you've already done the carfax.

Good luck! I bought my Silver/Red used and no regrets! It did however, only have 900mis on it!
Old 01-20-2001, 11:15 PM

Bob,

Is it local to Valley?
Old 01-21-2001, 07:18 AM

Thanks everyone...its in Oakland, has 2600 miles. I re-read all the recalls and service bulletins. Yes the trans thing sounds like the most potentially dangerous item. Do most of the 2000 models need the seatbelt and top cover fixes?? Too bad there is no way to know if it was VTEC'd too early, is that as crucial as I have heard?

I also got an email from Wisconsin from a dealer, MSRP but it is not a CA smogged car and I have not been able to find out the official deal with bringing in a new one from out of state. I have posted that query once or twice before on the board but haven't gotten any detailed answers. Thoughts??

Results later today, perhaps........
Old 01-21-2001, 08:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bob Moss
[B] I also got an email from Wisconsin from a dealer, MSRP but it is not a CA smogged car and I have not been able to find out the official deal with bringing in a new one from out of state..
Old 01-21-2001, 09:11 AM

Purchased mine used from Seattle.

If I were you, and the savings was significant. I would do this... make a deal with the owner to have the title transferred to you and sent to his house, then he'd send it to you once he recieves that. This way you'll avoid paying any "used car" taxes when you transfer the title in CA since it's simply you and not another owner.

As mentioned, cars ar 50-state legal so you won't have to worry about the 7500mi period before registering. Simply get it smogged (it's a LEV vehicle) and that's it.

Good luck!
Old 01-21-2001, 09:52 AM

According to a converstion with a DMV official last October a 50-state car is only acceptable here if it is CARB certified or has 7500 or more miles. I simply asked "if it is a 50-state car and we are one of the 50 states, doesn't that make it OK in CA?" Answer simply was "no". So that is why I am so confused.
Old 01-21-2001, 10:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It says under the hood of every one that it is CARB certified. That sounds like one bitch of a bureaucracy to deal with!
Old 01-21-2001, 11:23 AM

Bob, don't worry. I too got that answer from DMV's main office... however a quick trip to the local DMV provided a hardcopy of their policy. If it is 50-state legal, you will only need to smog the car to certify. If it's a 49-state model, it cannot be registered in California if it has less than 7500mis.

And if you don't believe me, believe my Seattle car now living in San Francisco with CA plates and pink slip.

Quick Reply: Checking out a used Silver/Red