S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

checking oil level when engine is cold

Old 02-19-2001, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Utah is right about the reasoning behind checking the oil when it's warm, but I suggest you let the car sit for at least a few minutes to get a decent reading.
The correct side to measure the oil level from is the Drivers side. True it is easier to stand on the passenger side to check it, but it is supposed to be checked (level wise) from the drivers side.
Also, you would have to overfill this engine considerably to get air in the oil, they almost always come from Honda with "too much oil", or over the full line, and Honda recommends that the tech leave it that way. No worries unless you see air bubbles in it, but at that point the dammage would have been done (if any at all). Just keep it as close to full as you can all the time.

Andrew
Old 02-19-2001, 05:24 PM

Big Al, maybe I exagerate but I swear that one side is noticibly higer than the other. Nevermind, I just went out and gave it a good look see. There's about 1/2 an X difference. Either way I'm whithin an X of full. Damn oil is still so clean it's hard to read.
Old 02-19-2001, 05:34 PM

This post is hillarious...

I usually check it after the car has been running.
Old 02-19-2001, 05:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife wants to know why I'm rolling on the floor laughing after reading this thread!

22 posts in 8 hours about how to read the f**k**g dipstick. My son's comment would be: "Too much free time."

How many S2k owners does it take to read a dipstick? Two: one to belay and one to shinny down inside the dipstick tube with a flashlight to read it. Oh yeah. The fat one gets to do the belay!

And don't anyone tell the Boxster board folks that we take our cars to the dealer every 600 miles to have the mechanic read the dipstick!

Anyway, I think the answer is to read it regularly. I read it when the car's sat for a bit for the oil to drain down into the engine. I read it this evening after work at the office because I like to read it cold so the film is thicker and easier to see. Yes, I wipe it and reinsert it to take a reading. Then I go buy gas, only my fifth trip to the gas station since 4 November purchase, second with my new short block.

Barry in Wyoming.......still really really laughing at us!
Old 02-19-2001, 06:08 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Utah S2K
[B] You say it doesn't matter....does this mean you know more about oil viscosity and measurement then Honda?
Old 02-19-2001, 08:26 PM

guys thanks for the help... well i think im juss as confused as i was b4 if not more, but i appreciate the feedback. i will take all of your opinions into consideration but i will take it to the dealer as well. gee what would i do without this forum...

MIke
Old 02-19-2001, 09:16 PM

This ain't rocket science. If it's near the L, whether if the oil is hot or cold, you need to add oil. Don't get it over the full mark. If you're worried about putting too much in, don't fill more than two Xs showing (like if you're putting oil in after running the engine and can't wait a few minutes). If the two sides aren't reading the same, put the dipstick back in and remove it without rubbing the part of the stick with the oil on it against the side of the opening. If it's still different, take the higher of the two (oil isn't going to magically climb the stick). The dipstick is not a precision measuring instrument, so don't sweat the minute details.
Old 02-20-2001, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>>>If it's still different, take the higher of the two
>>>(oil isn't going to magically climb the stick). The >>>dipstick is not a precision measuring instrument, so >>>don't sweat the minute details.

WHAT?

The higher of the two would tell you where the traces of the oil in the dipstick tube are getting on the dipstick. The lower would tell you where the acutal level is.

Always look on both sides and take the lower side.

This thread is scaring me.
Old 02-20-2001, 11:32 AM

I threw out my dipstick and shoved an old rag in the opening. As a matter of fact, I did the same thing with my gas cap and oil caps. This way, capillary action takes effect, and when the rags are all nasty, I know that it is time to add some more oil. Or gas. And if my car is low on oil, I don't add a quart, I just shove a stick of butter in the hole on top of my engine.

Just a little something I learned growing up in South Alabama.