S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Check Engine Light

Old 10-28-2003, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

Help, I've had a check engine light lately. When the dealer pulls the code and resets it, it gives an air flow error code. The Check Engine light just comes back on after the dealer clearing it.

Has anyone else has this? Perhaps a faulty MAP sensor?
Old 10-28-2003, 06:23 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

Sounds like he's pulling up generic OBD 2 which is ok, but the more advanced will dig deeper. It's not always cut and dry. Sounds like O2 sensor...pm me with the PXXX code and I'll be glad to steer you right.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm somewhat curious as to why they just pull the code and then reset it without figuring out how to fix the problem.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, same here. My friend just had the CEL on his S and ended up having to rebuild his motor. Honda should fix the problem, not sweep it under the rug.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:35 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

This is the same CEL code I have P0411. From what the dealer said, it is a vac line leak. I have checked all of thevac line routing becasue mine happen right after I reinstalled the stock airbox. When the CEL is reset, I can drive all day without it happening again, but when I cold start it the next day it is back.

I figure the lines I reinstalled were dry and have a few small cracks in them. I will be replacing all vac lines as soon as I have the time.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, they reset it since I told them to, didn't have enough time to put it in for service. It isn't engine related for sure since the engine runs smoother than ever now.

It might be a vaccum line or of some sorts, but I don't know the exact code. I'll just have to put it in for them to figure out.
Old 10-29-2003, 05:02 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stratocaster
This is the same CEL code I have P0411. From what the dealer said, it is a vac line leak. I have checked all of thevac line routing becasue mine happen right after I reinstalled the stock airbox. When the CEL is reset, I can drive all day without it happening again, but when I cold start it the next day it is back.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:56 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally posted by FormerH22a4
Well, they reset it since I told them to, didn't have enough time to put it in for service. It isn't engine related for sure since the engine runs smoother than ever now.

It might be a vaccum line or of some sorts, but I don't know the exact code. I'll just have to put it in for them to figure out.

You can get AutoZone to pull the code for you for free. Just stop by and ask them to pull the code for you.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Squeezer
you have the white check valve that goes to the secondary air pump's vacuum box installed backwards.
Old 10-29-2003, 08:47 AM

Check your gas cap--my '03 CEL came on and I smelled gas, so I pulled over and the gas cap was loose. So I tightened it, but it came loose three times in a row. I did a search on this site for "loose gas cap", and it's happened to others. I sent this site's threads to the dealership, and they shipped me a new gas cap. Interestingly enough, one owner has a method to prevent the cap from working itself loose--tighten the cap with your fingers on the outside, then turn some more until it feels loose, then tight again. Works like a charm...just another quirky Honda thing...
Old 10-29-2003, 08:48 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this code. It's almost always a vacuum leak in one of the small hoses. In my case, it was a very small split in the edge of one of the hoses. You have to pull them and inspect them all carefully. I, too, am surprised that the dealer didn't do this. Actually, given my experience with dealers, I'm not surprised at all.

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light