S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Changing the oil on Jack stands

Old 12-21-2001, 08:00 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the oil on Jack stands

If i jack up the car to get under it to change the oil, and put the front end of the car on jack stands, do i need to put the car back level in order to have it drain properly? or does the oil drain out well enough at the slight angle?
Old 12-21-2001, 09:45 AM

The drain plug is on right side of pan and-if I remember correctly-about the middle (front to back) of the oil pan. Therefore if you don't have the car level some old oil will be trapped in the back of the oil pan and not drain. Probably not a lot. Why not drain it on jack stands, then drop it down and see how much more comes out. Then you will know for future reference if it's necessary. You can let the rest of us know as well.
Old 12-21-2001, 09:55 AM

Hey Andrew,

That sounds like a good idea.

Bruinlax - If you try it please post and let us know. I haven't changed my oil myself so far, but I will likely do so in the future. It would be a good thing to know.

Thanks......
Old 12-21-2001, 10:11 AM
Banned

Just put the rear up too and you have yourself a level car. That's the way I do it using stands.

It also gives you a good opportunity to clean the wheels/wheel wells and anything really dirty on the underside of the car.
Old 12-21-2001, 10:23 AM

I change the oil with just the jack stands on the front. I doubt that you'll get any more oil out with the car level b/c on the inside of the oil pan the botton is not flat ... there is a "groove" (like "V" shape") that slants toward the drain plug.
Old 12-21-2001, 11:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I jack up only the drivers side - since the bolt is on the other side, it drains great. Another board member - can't remember who - does the same. Works like a champ.
Old 12-21-2001, 12:09 PM

After emptying the oil, I "waste" a quart of oil by pouring it in and letting it come out the bottom... to make sure I got as much dirty oil out as I can...

Is that reasonable?
Old 12-21-2001, 12:56 PM
Member (Premium)

i guess i'll try it and see, i would put it on 4 jack stands, but i only have 2
Old 12-21-2001, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by shaner
After emptying the oil, I "waste" a quart of oil by pouring it in and letting it come out the bottom... to make sure I got as much dirty oil out as I can...

Is that reasonable?
I'd just save the cost of the oil and dump a bottle of methylated spirit down there. That will really clean things out!!! NOT!!!

J/K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-22-2001, 02:07 AM

I change my oil by driving up on some ramps. I've never had any problems with draining most of the oil out. I doubt that much of it stays in there, and even if it does, it's not going to cause any damage. I mean you're putting in 5.1 qts of good oil.

Quick Reply: Changing the oil on Jack stands