S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Changing the oil filter without changing the oil

Old 12-17-2000, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible?
Went to change my oil today, without the wrench, not thinking Id need it, but the filter was on gorilla-tight. By that point the engine was devoid of oil, so i had no choice but to fill it up, to change the filter when I got the wrench (which I just ordered from honda-accessories.com)

found a cdelena quote
I aways do the filter first so that if it is dropped it is not into a pan full of oil.
which makes me think it is possible to change the filter without getting oil everywhere. And judging by the location of the filter in relation to the sump, I think it should be doable in a settled engine.
Old 12-18-2000, 02:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHY ???
Old 12-18-2000, 04:13 AM
Tox

It's do-able, but since the filter itself is full of oil it will definitely spill some and you'll want a pan underneath it. But all 5.5 quarts will not come out.

On the other hand, if you're going to go to all that trouble why not just change the oil again?
Old 12-18-2000, 01:46 PM

I bet you could do it without losing much oil, be sure to leave the oil cap on when you do, let us know the result.
JohnA
Old 12-18-2000, 01:52 PM

It's easy. Just turn the car over first.
Old 12-18-2000, 02:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Tox:
It's do-able, but since the filter itself is full of oil it will definitely spill some and you'll want a pan underneath it. But all 5.5 quarts will not come out.

On the other hand, if you're going to go to all that trouble why not just change the oil again?
I haven't had the chance to change oil yet (only ~800 miles) but the filter appears to me to be not only horizontally mounted but perhaps with the seal pointing down somewhat. This is a similar position as my '97 Prelude SH. This will drain oil and will not pour down the side. In fact, if the engine has been shut off long enough, you shouldn't even get a drop. I've done this with the Prelude with no problmes. Even with anti-flowback check valves in the filter (don't know if they are installed in S2K filters), the oil should remain in the filter.

I'd be surprised if significant oil is released by removing the filter in most cases...
Old 12-18-2000, 02:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pellisS2k:
[B]Is it possible?
Went to change my oil today, without the wrench, not thinking Id need it, but the filter was on gorilla-tight.
Old 12-18-2000, 02:55 PM

I changed the oil, but noticed I didn't have a new filter until after I drained the oil. So I just put the plug back in so a bug or something wouldn't fly in, and waited until the next morning to get a filter. I don't think you need to fill the oil immediately after draining it. I took the filter off the next morning and got some dribble sown the edge of the block, but not much. I always position the tub to catch it. Also, you don't need a special Honda filter wrench, a generic wrench will work.
Well, it was late on a sunday night, and as my only car, I kinda need the transportation. Didnt have much of an option. I'll let you guys know how much oil I spill when I change the filter without changing the oil.
Old 12-18-2000, 02:58 PM

Even if you succeed in changing the filter without gushing oil everywhere, you're going to need to redo whole oil change anyway due to the following formula my uncle told me a long time ago to remember about oil changes:

4qrts clean oil + 1qrt dirty oil in the filter = 5qrts dirty oil.

You didn't mention if you started the car after refilling the oil. If you didn't start the car, perhaps all the dirty oil is still in the filter and not mixed in the oil pan. But unless you are sure the clean oil is still clean, just redo it right. I'm sure this will be the only time you have to redo an oil change.

One trick I alway do when changing oil: I first try to crack the seal on the oil filter...just a 1/16th of a turn. If it comes free, then I drain as usual. But if I can't get it to budge, I still have the option of being able to drive the car.
Old 12-18-2000, 03:08 PM

For next timeAnother trick for getting balky oil filters off. (my wrench wouldn't fit this baby).

Just take a long screwdriver... drive it though the filter perpendicular to the axis. You now have a handle with which to turn the filter.

Dan

Quick Reply: Changing the oil filter without changing the oil