S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Changed Tranny oil, now hard to get into 2nd gear

Old 11-28-2002, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changed Tranny oil, now hard to get into 2nd gear

I've got 17K miles on the car and decided to change the transmission fluid. I jacked the car up on the drivers side, drained the fluid, refillied it with 2 qts. to Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-90 Gear Lubricant, lowered the car to all four wheels (on a flat garage floor) so the excess could drain out to the proper fill level, jacked the car back up and screwed on the fill plug.

Ever since doing this, the car has been hard to get into 2nd gear, but only until it warms up completely. This never happened with the old tranny fluid.

Also, the smoothness that was there in the shifing is gone. It's kind of clunky/notchey.

Anyone else have this problem, and if so, did you find a way to correct it? It's really a pain. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:07 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

"DANGER, WILL ROBINSON, DANGER!"
Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube is meant for the rear differential. It is NOT meant for the tranny. Get that stuff out of there before you do some damage.
You need a manual transmission fluid. Stick with the Honda stuff till you hear of testimonials and proof for something better.
Old 11-28-2002, 06:17 AM

To add to what xviper said you need to get that out. I would put the proper lube in and run it for a few minutes and then drain and do it again to insure you flush all the old fluid out.
Old 11-28-2002, 07:46 PM

HOLY CRAP --- I really screwed up this time!!! Hopefully I haven't put too many miles on it yet to to any damage, and since the tires are getting worn, I haven't done any hard driving either. Stuff is coming out tomorrow!!!

THANKS!!!
Old 11-28-2002, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One last thing, the transmission should hold 1.6 quarts of fluid, not 2.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:31 PM

golfnut311 .......... stay away from anything that is GL-5 or GL-6 rated. It is hypoid gear oil and contains reactive sulfur ( smells bad ). The sulfur will corrode the brass synchros in a manual transmission and then transmission will fail to shift after time.

I would change to Honda MTL or something like it (GL-4 rated ) for several days. Drain the transmission and re-fill with fresh oil.
This should flush all of the sulfur out.
Old 11-28-2002, 08:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by boiler
One last thing, the transmission should hold 1.6 quarts of fluid, not 2.
My stand on this is go with whatever the "book" says but there has been other thoughts on this subject. I think it was "Common Sense" who has taken this tranny apart the most and he has indicated that due to the nature of this tranny and the inherent weakness of the tranny oil pump, an overfill isn't a bad idea. I put an extra 200 cc into "Formers" car the last time I changed his fluid (by his request of course). When I do mine next spring, I will also do the same. I seem to recall the CS put all 2 qts. in.
But for "golfnut", I would keep with what the book says until you have ascertained that no damage has been done.
Old 11-28-2002, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The extra 0.2 Litres in my tranny has held up just fine
Old 11-29-2002, 08:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
[B] .....
Old 11-29-2002, 10:31 AM

OK, first, thanks to all for not flaming me too much for putting in the wrong stuff. I don' know what I was thinking. Guess it was a major brain fart. In any case, it's coming out in about an hour.

As for the 2 quarts, I put in that much because the car was jacked up on the drivers side so I could get at the fill hole. Because of this, more fluid goes in before it starts to come out of the fill hole. Then I lower the car (without putting in the fill plug) so the excess can drain out to the proper level. Then I jack it back up and put on the fill plug.

Going out to Honda right now to get the MTL fluid and flush that crap out of the transmission.

Thanks again to all!!

Quick Reply: Changed Tranny oil, now hard to get into 2nd gear