S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Change your rear tires, the car you save may be your own.

Old 05-13-2003, 08:01 AM
mas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01
[B]Amen.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by pfb
Note that the S2000 OEM S02's are significantly different, both in tread width and pattern, than "standard" S02's in the correct size.

Make SURE you get the right OEM S02's, or you will have a significantly narrower tire in the rear than stock. Good chance your local service station isn't even aware of the existance of OEM S02's for the Honda.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?ma...el=Potenza+S-02
Bear in mind a narrower tire in the rain is better than a wider one, which explains to a large degree why so many owners (on their first set of replacement tires) who purchased 225mm tires thinking that was the right size find that while dry traction decreased to a small degree (when pushed), their traction in the wet improved considerably. If you're in an area where wet weather driving is a given (south USA, etc) and you're trying to get as much mileage as you can out of your tires, I wouldn't even consider the SO-2 as a replacement. You can get tons more wet weather traction with several other very good high performance tires (Yoko ES100, Toyo T1-S, Bridgestone's own SO-3, Kumho Ecsta) and get much better wear as well. The trade-off is obvious, these tires won't be as gummy as the SO-2's but I've always felt the margin between dry traction and wet traction to be unacceptable with this particular Bridgestone. Most of us wouldn't use a track tire as a daily commute tire yet the SO-2 has more in common with that kind of tire than it does your atypical high performance tire designed for both wet and dry traction. It's a one-trick pony piece of rubber and lord knows, it rules in the dry but there are too many other choices out there which granted, will provide perhaps 75-85% of the SO-2's traction yet in adverse conditions, provide 150% better footing. The average S2000 owner simply does not approach handling speeds on the street that would encourage him to say, "good thing I had these SO-2's" but I guarantee you there are more than a few owners riding on 6K and above OEM tires that get nervous when the rain drops begin to fall. Fantastic tire for the "drought" season but not the best replacement choice if the S2000 is your only ride. There are better all-around tires out there.
My .02
Old 05-13-2003, 08:27 AM

Originally posted by Jason B
Mine were gone at 7,200 and I don't ever peel out, but do occasionally slide around corners. My dealer split the cost with me for two new rears.

Only if all dealers were as nice as yours. I wouldn't expect any dealer to help pay for tires, unless the alignment was out of spec when purchased.
Old 05-13-2003, 08:39 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

1/2 the price??? DAMN!! Must be nice!!
Old 05-13-2003, 09:16 AM

Too bad you already ordered new S-02's. These tires are great for competition and provide the ultimate dry-road handling, but they are noisy, wear fast and are a hazzard in the wet or snow. One of the two best things I did to improve my '00 S2K was to replace the S-02's at 11k miles with Yokohama AVSdb's.

Also, if you know how to drive and can handle a car with neutral cornering characteristics, consider eliminating the tire-shredding rear toe specs. To provide understeer, Honda had to resort to radical rear toe that exceeds even Porsche 911 specs. Set the rear toe at .01 to .05 and get 50% more tire life and about 1 1/2 more mpg. Just don't slam on the brakes if you go into a corner too fast! A little slower in, but a lot faster out! Good luck.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:28 AM
rai

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

What do you do if the rear tires are shot and you want to get different type of rear, say you even want to switch to high performance all season tires?

Do you have to pitch the front tires and get all 4 the same?

How much longer do the front's last?

Is anyone in favor All season tires? It looks like they have some high performance ones out there.
Old 05-13-2003, 09:48 AM

Originally posted by rai
What do you do if the rear tires are shot and you want to get different type of rear, say you even want to switch to high performance all season tires?

How much longer do the front's last?

You should never MIX two brand of tires front and rear. Keep them the SAME.

You will typically go through two sets of rears, for every one set of fronts.

Old 05-13-2003, 10:34 AM

K, i'm somewhat confused now. I just wanted to replace the rears because i can't afford to replace all 4 with a new type of tire right now. So I got the S02s in 225/50WR16. Now, I've never bought tires before and I'm somewhat new to this game, but these are the tires that came on my car... correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 05-13-2003, 10:56 AM
mas

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Icemn2003
[B]K, i'm somewhat confused now.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey everyone, my rear tires have finally come to an end at 15600 miles,

Around 2/32 tread, maybe less I did the penny test and could see almost the whole head

Should I try to squeeze out another 1k miles out of them??

Quick Reply: Change your rear tires, the car you save may be your own.