S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Change your rear tires, the car you save may be your own.

Old 05-12-2003, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change your rear tires, the car you save may be your own.

I had a terrifying experience a few nites ago in my S. It was drizzling a little (nothing too heavy) and the highway was wet. About one minute after getting onto the highway, i think i may have hit a shallow but long puddle. I started to fishtail, and slowed down to try and get onto the shoulder, but i lost control and the rear end came around, i was going maybe 60 when this happened. A car in the left lane passed about a foot in front of my headlights as i came around. I ended up facing the wrong way in the left lane, fortunately, I got it off the highway before any other traffic caught up. But if it had been busy, my car would have been totalled.

I checked out my tires and found that I had overestimated the amount of tread left on them, my car just crossed over the 10K line. First thing I did today was go to the service station and order a new set of S02s, my front tires are in good shape, the rears are almost bald, can't believe what a moron I was, I guess someone was looking out for me- don't repeat my mistake, change your rear tires and check them often, they go FAST.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:54 PM

you're telling me, bald rear tires in water is like walkin on ice.
Old 05-12-2003, 06:35 PM
pfb

Note that the S2000 OEM S02's are significantly different, both in tread width and pattern, than "standard" S02's in the correct size.

Make SURE you get the right OEM S02's, or you will have a significantly narrower tire in the rear than stock. Good chance your local service station isn't even aware of the existance of OEM S02's for the Honda.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes.jsp?ma...el=Potenza+S-02
Old 05-12-2003, 06:36 PM

Hah, yea, bald tires are a bad deal for sure. I wrecked my S and bald tires were one of the factors.... stupidity and testosterome were the others Took my "favorite" turn at 70 like i always did... i just hadn't done it in 3 months and my tires had worn just a tad since then!! Check your tires just like you check your oil. If you don't check your oil you could loose an engine, if you don't check your tires you could loose your life......

Brandon
Old 05-12-2003, 07:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This is one of the many reasons why my car doesn't go out in the rain.
Old 05-12-2003, 08:55 PM
zid

Amen Brothers...wish I could blame my wreck on the tires. 2 weeks ago it was the front that later produced the tornados in the midwest swept through. She was tracking great, I was one exit from home, hit the puddle and instant 180 into the center cement divide with the R/R corner. SO MAD at me! whenever I told anyone about the driveability my line was "on wet pavement it's like rollerskating on marbles" Driving WAY TOO FAST for conditions. Thank God no one else was involved. $12K and a couple more weeks she'll be fixed. All the emphasis on safety they engineered into the car really showed.
Old 05-13-2003, 04:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by zid
All the emphasis on safety they engineered into the car really showed.
Amen. My collection of "wrecks" from this site is amazing. The protection shows.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My fronts are wearing quicker then the rears, at least the sholders are due to autocrossing. Maybe I'm doing it wrong.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:26 AM

Last September, after about 6,000 miles on my original S02's, I hydroplaned into a guardrail. Suffice it to say that I will NEVER put SO2's back on my S. I'd rather lose some performance and keep my car.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:47 AM

Mine were gone at 7,200 and I don't ever peel out, but do occasionally slide around corners. My dealer split the cost with me for two new rears.

Quick Reply: Change your rear tires, the car you save may be your own.