S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

cell phone and top down

Old 03-04-2006, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuhsi,Mar 3 2006, 08:53 PM
theboom.com

i've tried at least 15 different headsets and this one's easily the best. It's huge and expensive, but the noise and wind cancelling technology is unreal.
Chuhsi ...

Yep, I've been waiting for the new version that just came out.

Which version do you have:
The Boom
The Boom "O"
Bone Conduction Boom

I know the mic is fabulous at wind noise cancelling but can are yo able to hear thing sharply as well?

The Boom Nopise Cancelling Headphone

Does anyone else have this product?
Old 03-04-2006, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In California, Its illegal to be on your cell phone while driving...unless you have on an ear piece or speaker. You should get one with a wireless ear piece. Its easier to use and if you must call someone on your cell while driving...use voice command.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:26 PM

I've had miserable luck with a blue tooth headset: Sony Ericcson HBH600 and Siemens phone.

There's been a thread in the electronics forum on this.
Old 03-04-2006, 12:27 PM

In California, Its illegal to be on your cell phone while driving...unless you have on an ear piece or speaker.
Really, since when? Not challenging your statement...I have just never heard that before. I talk on the phone while driving all the time...and see tons of other people doing it too. Never heard that it was illegal here...
Old 03-04-2006, 02:53 PM

Another vote here for a bluetooth headset. But be sure you have a bluetooth capable phone.
Old 03-04-2006, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by s2kgirlie,Mar 4 2006, 01:20 PM
In California, Its illegal to be on your cell phone while driving...unless you have on an ear piece or speaker. You should get one with a wireless ear piece. Its easier to use and if you must call someone on your cell while driving...use voice command.

I don't think that law passed.

But I wish they would make it illegal to use the phone in the car at all. (except for 911 calls)

Too many people slow down 10 mph, or don't move when the turns green, or wander out of their lane when they are on the phone.
Old 03-04-2006, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Vlad,Mar 4 2006, 01:27 PM
Really, since when? Not challenging your statement...I have just never heard that before. I talk on the phone while driving all the time...and see tons of other people doing it too. Never heard that it was illegal here...
Through an email of an friend that works for the county said it passed...I can't find the actually article...but here's something I got from the internet. I don't know if all the details have been finalized yet (that's probably why most people don't know)...but you better shut those phones off when you run into a cop while driving.

GOOD LUCK!

Calif. bill to limit drivers' use of cell phones gains ground
SACRAMENTO (AP)
Old 03-04-2006, 09:53 PM

the cell phone works great for ruining the driving experience.
Old 03-05-2006, 12:43 AM

The thing I don't really get about the whole cell phone being a distraction is...is it really the one hand off the wheel thats holding the phone that is the accident causing problem...or is it the actual distraction of having a conversation with someone?

Because when I'm just cruising around I usually only drive with one hand anyways. Right hand is on the shifter or just resting my elbow on the center console. So, how is this any better than having one hand holding the phone? It seems to me like most people can drive quite adequetly with one hand, and its the actual conversation thats the distraction, not the hand off the wheel, so a handsfree kit wouldn't help much in preventing a collision IMO.

Its not the same as talking to a passenger, they can see when a hazard pops up in the road and shut up or even warn you about it, but someone on the other end of a phone does not see what's going on. You might be having a very tough time merging onto the free way and about to be run into the gaurdrail, and someone on the phone will be "OMG, did you hear what so-and-so said did blah blah blah!"

So yeah, I just don't think that a hands free kit is the solution for the whole cell phone causing accidents thing, especially when we're on the freeway, and there is no shifting to be done.
Old 03-05-2006, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by Vlad,Mar 5 2006, 01:43 AM
The thing I don't really get about the whole cell phone being a distraction is...is it really the one hand off the wheel thats holding the phone that is the accident causing problem...or is it the actual distraction of having a conversation with someone?

Because when I'm just cruising around I usually only drive with one hand anyways. Right hand is on the shifter or just resting my elbow on the center console. So, how is this any better than having one hand holding the phone? It seems to me like most people can drive quite adequetly with one hand, and its the actual conversation thats the distraction, not the hand off the wheel, so a handsfree kit wouldn't help much in preventing a collision IMO.

Its not the same as talking to a passenger, they can see when a hazard pops up in the road and shut up or even warn you about it, but someone on the other end of a phone does not see what's going on. You might be having a very tough time merging onto the free way and about to be run into the gaurdrail, and someone on the phone will be "OMG, did you hear what so-and-so said did blah blah blah!"

So yeah, I just don't think that a hands free kit is the solution for the whole cell phone causing accidents thing, especially when we're on the freeway, and there is no shifting to be done.

You are 100% right. I have used my cell phone twice while driving. I found that it impaired my reaction time to becoming aware of things happening around me.

I shut my phone off now when I drive.

Quick Reply: cell phone and top down