S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

cell phone and top down

Old 03-03-2006, 05:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cell phone and top down

I recently came into the communication age and finally got a cell phone. The problem that I have now is that I drive with the top down 99% of the time. This makes it difficult to hear and be heard. I was thinking of installing a handsfree kit that outputs through my speakers and has a microphone I can place on my steering wheel. Im pretty sure that I will be able to hear the conversation cause I can just turn up the volume till I can hear them. But Im not sure how well the microphone would work.

Has anyone installed anything like this and use it regularly with the top down?

thanks,
Old 03-03-2006, 06:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i imagine a hands free kit would make it worse. this would be because you're pulling the sound and mic source further from your mouth/ears. i imagine it would be much windier sounding.

do what I do. if you absolutely have to take the call, put the windows up. it helps. also, the quality of your phone will determine whether or not you can use it with the top down.

if nothing else, screw em, they can wait til you're done enjoying your drive.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:23 AM

Received 215 Likes on 148 Posts

Windows up helps, but I agree - don't be a slave to your phone - you don't have to answer it you know.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bluetooth handsfree earpiece!
Old 03-03-2006, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not being able to understand phone conversations is the car's natural way of telling you not to talk on your phone while driving. Unless someone's dying, I don't answer the phone in the car. If I absolutely must, roll up the windows and slow down from 85mph!
Old 03-03-2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by arich,Mar 3 2006, 09:57 AM
I was thinking of installing a handsfree kit that outputs through my speakers and has a microphone I can place on my steering wheel.
I can't immagine how that would be better then the cell phone.

Try a handsfree headset. If you have bluetooth, look for something with great noise cancelling features, you might be able to find something that works with the top down but I wouldn't get my hopes up too high.

Another thing you can try is a corded headset. The simplest kind out there where the mic is attached to the wire that hangs down from the ear piece. The trick is to clip that mic so that it is inside a jacket collar or something simillar. That gives it some wind protection. Or you could wear a hoodie and clip the mic inside the hoodie!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:03 AM

"Hang up and drive" That's the bumper sticker on my GTI. I need to get another one for the S. Put the phone away until you can safely use it.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Wildncrazy,Mar 3 2006, 10:43 AM
Bluetooth handsfree earpiece!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ed_Grant,Mar 3 2006, 10:03 AM
"Hang up and drive" That's the bumper sticker on my GTI. I need to get another one for the S. Put the phone away until you can safely use it.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Ed_Grant,Mar 3 2006, 01:03 PM
please don't put a bumper sticker on your S. ... well it's yours i know but think about it please.

<---rarely answer the phone or make a call while S'ing ... if absolutely necessary - windows go up and I go into middle/right lane & slow down....or even pull over.

Quick Reply: cell phone and top down