S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Cat Failed / Rear O2 Bad - Honda Warranty Help

Old 08-02-2004, 05:44 PM
Ozy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat Failed / Rear O2 Bad - Honda Warranty Help

I dropped by the dealer to have them address my CEL that shows a bad rear O2. They pulled out the sensor and confirmed that it was bad. They said the cat had also failed and took the sensor out. My car has 44K miles on it, but I have the Honda Care 100K / $0 deductable warranty. Honda has an 80K mile warranty on the emissions, but the O2 sensor claim would have to go thru HondaCare. Autowest says they have to ask the Honda rep on Friday if they will cover the cat, but because the car has a SC on it, they feel that there is a good chance Honda will deny the claim. If Honda denies the claim, then HondaCare will also deny the claim on the O2 sensor.

Does anyone have any idea or help on what I can do or say when I meet the local Honda rep in person on Friday? I know that the car is SC'd, but I don't drive it hard often, its my daily driver, and many dealers SELL the Comptech SC. Don't they have to prove that the SC damaged the cat before they can deny the claim? I had my diff replaced last year under warranty and they knew it was SC"d then too. If they were going to deny anything I'd think it would have been that $4000 item!

Thanks ahead of time for the help.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ozy,Aug 2 2004, 06:44 PM
Don't they have to prove that the SC damaged the cat before they can deny the claim? I had my diff replaced last year under warranty and they knew it was SC"d then too.
I believe that the burden of proof is on them that the SC was the cause for the failure. I believe it's the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act that protects the consumer. Here's once site that briefly explains this:

http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/magnusonmoss.htm

-= joe =-
Old 08-03-2004, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, you knew when you put the supercharger on you were risking everything downstream. Own up to your actions and pay the bill.
Old 08-03-2004, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way are they going to do it for free. Not with a supercharger. Good luck I just went thru this with my Girlfriends Nissan with some mods. even if the supercharger has nothing to do with it they will lie and make up the craziest stories.
Service writers and mechanics at dealers have to really stop drinking and smoking so much POT at lunch time. Its really effecting thier brains. Also commisions for service writers needs to be outlawed. I've lost my temper twice in the last three years and both times where at dealership service counters. Please do yourself a favor and don't watch the movie "Falling Down" before visiting a dealer. It could get real ugly.

Have a nice day! Oh and by the way have some of our mud coffee with fake powdered non dairy creamer.

Man oh man sometimes it would be so awesome to be the "HULK"!
Old 08-03-2004, 06:38 PM

I had a 2000 Civic Si and a P0420 code for catalyst system efficiency below threshold. I went to the dealership and they replaced the catalytic converter without any hassle. My car was lightly modded with an intake and axle back exhaust, and I did not have an extended warranty

If they refuse to replace your cat and O2 sensor, I would be sure to find out why not and what caused the cat and 02 sensor to go bad.

Good luck.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by ItalianBucwheat,Aug 3 2004, 08:55 PM
Service writers and mechanics at dealers have to really stop drinking and smoking so much POT at lunch time.
Where did you get this information from?
Old 08-04-2004, 05:42 AM

Ozy,

I had the exact same problem at 76k miles. My dealer took care of it without charging me, but I'm still non-forced induction.

I remember them saying that the extended warranty wouldn't have covered it after 80k miles, for some reason.

Good luck with your claim and keep us updated with your results.

Joe
Old 08-04-2004, 06:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

the SC could have definitely caused the failure. You know that. The air/fuel ratio with the SC is probably different than stock.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:35 AM

Arrow

Originally Posted by Ozy,Aug 2 2004, 05:44 PM
Don't they have to prove that the SC damaged the cat before they can deny the claim?
Yes, the burden of proof lies with them, but the burden to sue lies with you. They can say anything they want to "prove" it was the cause, even if its total You'll have no recourse but to sue. Is it worth the hassel and cost to take them to court? Probably not, and unfortunately that's what they count on.

Dinnyin
Old 08-04-2004, 11:24 AM

Interesting, the internals of my cat shattered, when they slid back they snapped off the top of the o2 sensor, which in turn obviously threw a code, they replaced the cat and sensor under warranty..

I've had issues with my own honda warranty, same 100,000 mile bullshit, I've had enough with their warranty, I'm at 40,000 miles right now, and any problem I have for the rest of the time in which I own my car will be repaired by myself. Originally I purchased the warranty so I wouldnt have to worry about it.. but I found out that they only fix the shit that doesnt break, and if it does break, they make up an excuse as to why they cant fix it (btw, my car is 100% stock, always has been).. Anywho, this is the last honda I will own.. I have many friends that are treated like a god the second they walk into their BMW dealership.. My next car will be a M3..

Don't get me wrong, Honda has some of the greatest engineers in the world, but the car isnt the only thing that makes up the experience of owning one..

Quick Reply: Cat Failed / Rear O2 Bad - Honda Warranty Help