S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Carjacked?

Old 05-06-2003, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carjacked?

Last week I went to a local car insurance office to take care of some business. I had parked my S with the top down directly in front of the establishment next to the sidewalk. I glanced to my right and a stout middle aged man dressed in black pants and a black shirt followed by 2 teenagers on bicycles were about to intersect with me on the sidewalk. I didn?t make eye contact (in Southern California you generally avoid eye contact with strangers as this can invite unwanted attention). The three of them were traveling a little faster than I, so I paused and looked down at my keys. When I looked up the man in black was stand about 12 inches from my face and the boys on the bicycles and stopped behind him. We have a mental health facility about 2 blocks from where we stood and my first thought was this man was on his way there for some treatment. He locked eyes with me and said ?I have a pistol in my pocket. I want your keys and your car?. I glanced down and saw that his hand was indeed in his pocket and there was a pointed bulge protrudingjavascript:smilie('').

My brain and heart went into VTEC modejavascript:smilie('') as I began assessing the situation and my options all within a nanosecondjavascript. I?m 52 years old physically fit but definitely not a fighter, especially when a weapon is involved. There were also the 2 teenagers standing behind the man in black and I didn?t know what their role was in this. Before I had time to respond or react the man in black put his arm around me, gave a big chuckle and said ?I have admired these cars ever since they came out and would love to have one. The just don?t pay me enough at the church.?

Turns out he was a pastor at a local church and the teenage boys just happened to be behind him for no particular reason. I exchanged the standard info with him about the 9k rpm red line, 240 hp, etc. and he continued his walk down the sidewalk. Later it occurred to me that I should have told him it was pretty stupid to approach someone and say what he did. Even though he was dressed in black like a priest he didn?t have the white collar. A younger more aggressive person might just have reacted instantly with a quick blow to whatever. I was just relieved that it wasn?t a real carjacking.

What would you have done?
Old 05-06-2003, 10:19 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

kicked him in the nuts and then kneed him in the head when he bent down.

But that is just me, I react before I think sometimes.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:45 AM

He is lucky God was with him at that Moment and that you had a cool head!
Old 05-06-2003, 10:53 AM

God MUST have been with him. I'm 20 years old and just bought my S2000 one month ago. If it were me and some "Old" middle-aged man approached me with that line, he would have caught an Elbow to the nose or a Honda Key to his neck. You don
Old 05-06-2003, 10:57 AM

He is very lucky you weren't carrying. That could have been the last joke he ever told.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:02 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by MWillis
What would you have done?
Sent him to Heaven.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:10 AM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

That's just stupid, especially in So. Cal.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that crack pot appears to have a death wish , it's that simple.. if I ever move to the U.S. you can bet I'll be packing (something extremely hidden and bond like) and would not be hesistating..
Old 05-06-2003, 11:24 AM

Are you sure he was a priest?

Maybe he was a carjacker and was sizing you up for your next meeting.

Fortunately this type of behavior is not prevalent in NE PA.
Old 05-06-2003, 11:31 AM

I would have to say that's not a funny joke ...

Or he was too eager to see God face to face ...

Quick Reply: Carjacked?