S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Care and feeding of 2nd gear synchros

Old 06-29-2001, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you work for the plant in Marysville or in California at the HQ? Or for a Dealer? Just curious!

I'm with cdelena! I haven't had any problems with mine but there have been several who have. We understand the principals and why it happens. This is text book. So why are owners continuing to have problems even after the fix? I've got to sympathize with them because this is a technical fault and problem that Honda needs to address throughly. I'm not flaming you personnelly I and many others would like to get to the bottom of the problem, instead of having to baby the transmission through the lower gears to ensure that it's stays togather. That's like saying here go buy a Lotus Turbo but don't take it over 3000 rpm. That's not a fix that a bandaid and you can't ask owner to accept that eather. You put a short throw gear lever in the automobile and a close ratio transmission and say don't shift it so fast??!! Come on give me a brake. That's ludicrious!

These guys don't want a bandaid they want to be able to use the car as it was intended. I appreciate the information and your candidness but you haven't told us anything we already don't know from experience. My question to you, is when is Honda going to seriously solve the problem. I love the car but if I start having problems like this I'll not be a happy camper. Nor will I be as patient as some.

I'm from the government I'm here to help!!
Old 06-29-2001, 07:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jeff
[B]Do you work for the plant in Marysville or in California at the HQ? Or for a Dealer?
Old 06-29-2001, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by cdelena

He may not be back soon so I will answer. He is an engineer (supporting the NSX / S2000 tech line, I think) in the AHM Torrance headquarters.
I just needed to ask that question formyself and everyone here. No offense intended. I hope that he does come back and gives us a bit more information. I'm not mad just really concerned. You shouldn't be having this problem. There should be a permanent solution!
Old 06-29-2001, 07:39 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Woodwork
[B]
Everytime a transmission or engine gets replaced in an S2000 I get the part.
Old 06-29-2001, 07:59 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Red 8683
[B]

Thanks for the info Woodwork.
Old 06-29-2001, 08:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Woodwork,

Sorry, got one more question for you. Do you recomend increasing shift time for other gears besides 1-2? Because from my understanding, the 2nd gear in our car has triple cone synchronizers, compared to double in the other gears. And from what I hear, triple is supposed to be more durable. So do you recomend decreasing shift speed with the other gears as well considering the fact that they would be more prone to damage since they are weaker?
Old 06-29-2001, 08:35 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DaveZ
[B]

I definitely appreciate Woodwork coming on this board and providing this post.
Old 06-29-2001, 09:27 PM

Do you think HRC could build me a trans with dogs instead of syncros? If I was made out of money of course.

Still, Honda did a great job on the S2000, I am very happy with it even if it isn't perfect.
Old 06-29-2001, 10:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I guess my question is why does the transmission CLUNK so loudly when you shift from 2nd to 3rd at low RPM's (3500)? At 5500RPM+ I don't hear and feel the clunk.

Thanks for the info... I think we'd all like to hear some unofficial comment on:

- Cylinder 4 failures
- Differential failures

If you receive the failed parts, it would be nice to hear why the failures happen. I have my own ideas, but I'd like to know the best way short of never taking the car out of the garage to extend its lifetime.

-B
Old 06-30-2001, 12:02 AM

Syncro, Schymecro, all I want to know is if the '02 model's going to have a glass rear window!

Quick Reply: Care and feeding of 2nd gear synchros