S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Car won't start..

Old 05-13-2005, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey greys2k, did you installed remote car starter (Compustart)?? cuz I had the exact same problem too, and the only way to start the car properly is to follow a sequence of - apply brake first - insert key and turn - apply clutch - and push START. Because the S2k has a different ignition system along with command car starter that makes everything very complicated. Hope this will help :-)
Old 05-13-2005, 02:40 AM

Replace the battery - if it's that old you need a new one anyway and it is the cheapest fix/try of everything posted. Voltage readings don't matter if memory serves me - you need both amps and volts to drive a high drain device like the starter. If only one cell of the battery is still good it will provide you 12 volts and work things like the lights, radio, door locks, but will never have enough juice to crank a starter. How do I know this, I learned the hard way spending a weekend changing out a "bad" starter on a 85 Isuzu Trooper only to learn that my battery had one working cell out of seven (i.e. lights worked, radio, etc.). Replaced battery and problem solved - did keep myself out of trouble for a weekend though.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:03 AM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Did you clean the battery terminals yet?
Old 05-13-2005, 04:05 AM

i agree its the battery
Old 05-13-2005, 04:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by immortaltool,May 13 2005, 04:28 AM
Hey greys2k, did you installed remote car starter (Compustart)?? cuz I had the exact same problem too, and the only way to start the car properly is to follow a sequence of - apply brake first - insert key and turn - apply clutch - and push START. Because the S2k has a different ignition system along with command car starter that makes everything very complicated. Hope this will help :-)
what??? the ignition system in the S is the same as in just every other car as is the charging system
Old 05-13-2005, 07:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the starter solenoid only clicks once, than it's definitely not the battery, it's the starter solenoid itself. You'd have to know exactly how a start solenoid works to understand why. In fact, the coil in the solenoid sounds OK (the plunger did move and "click").

What's most likely wrong with it is the copper end on the plunger is corroded and not completing the circuit when it touches the end of the solenoid housing. I believe the S2000 solenoid is a sealed unit. You either get a new one or you have a pro with the right tools open yours, clean it up and put in a new plunger.

To get a quick rough estimate on Honda parts, check this site out:

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/j...PartsSearch.jsp

The prices are in USD, so multiply the price roughly by 1.5 and you can figure out how much Honda Canada will gouge you. The solenoid by itself lists for $219 USD. I bet your local dealer would try to sell you one for $300 to $350. The entire starter assembly? I'd hate to look the price up...

Chris.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:54 AM

You have to logically eliminate things by testing to see if they work before you go out and buy parts left and right to fix something. I would first check the battery by using a voltmeter to see if it's reading enough voltage for a healthy battery. Test it with the engine off. If it's good, then I would try to jump start it with another car. If it starts, it's most likey the connection from the battery to the car. If it does the same thing then I might start to think it is the starter. Also, since you need to press the clutch down to start the car, you might check the connection there as well to see if the car thinks the clutch is not engaged. There could be a multitude of causes to this problem, you will just have to go through each and test them. Unfortunately, this is the most knowledge I have on the subject. Good luck.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:54 AM

If it's the starter solenoid not making contact, I remember reading that tapping the starter with a hammer is a good way to tell. If you tap it and it starts (freeing it up somewhat to make the connection), then its te solenoid.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:49 PM

I got the battery tested today, its not the battery..I don't know what to do...maybe take the starter out and get it rebuilt.....thats what everyone is sort of telling me..I suppose I'll try to remove the starter tonight and take it in..a new starter here is $350 plus install...and 14% tax....

how caan I check to see if it the clutch relay?
Old 05-13-2005, 02:59 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

It isn't the clutch relay. You wouldn't get a clicking sound if that was the problem.

Did you clean your battery terminals yet?

Quick Reply: Car won't start..