S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Car shaking & check engine light turning on???

Old 09-18-2001, 04:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update: This's really annoying me now...I was suppose to bring it in last Friday however I was driving on Wednesday & after driving for around 200 miles the "check engine" light turned off. Weird??? Since it's not on anymore there's nothing the dealer can do I guess until I get it on again. I think it's just a bad sensor somewhere. I thought I'd let everyone know.
Old 09-18-2001, 10:10 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HondaGuy
[B]Quick update:
Old 09-18-2001, 10:32 AM

Bad fuel?
Old 09-18-2001, 02:13 PM

Originally posted by Takashi KazuMori
You could try addressing the problem by changing to iridium spark plugs but from my perspective, I think it's more than just spark plugs that are causing the commotion. There should be a more detailed inspection by your Honda dealer under warranty and address any issues. I'm definitely sure it's more than just the spark plugs causing any type of concern.
Agreed!!!! There is something else (most probably something quite significant) happening under your hood!
Old 09-18-2001, 06:40 PM

Originally posted by s2ktaxi
Bad fuel?
My mechanic mentioned that there have been a rash of Accords that have had fuel related problems here in Houston lately.

Due to the recent flooding, some local gas stations have been adding a "drying agent" to their fuel storage tanks. I may have been a lucky customer.
Old 09-18-2001, 08:33 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by joe_s2k
[B]

Remember, my CHECK ENGINE LIGHT was going ON and OFF during the last 2 months until it started to idle very badly.
Old 09-19-2001, 02:29 AM

If there is water based contaminants in the fuel, it does not necessarilly spoil the whole tank... I had stumbling and idling in my Prelude a few weeks back but the problem went away.

Of course, if you get too much bad fuel, it could ruin your injectors... Then the problem will be more permanent.
Old 09-19-2001, 04:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HondaGuy
[B]Ok, this's getting ridiculous.
Old 09-19-2001, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by S2000RJ

Has your dealer checked the engine harness and sensors? The engine has to be jacked up to remove the gearbox and many ancillary parts removed (exhaust, etc). I would suspect that either a wire has been strained or a connector failed. It could be one of the sensors (MAP or one of the O2's?), but just as likely the connection. Could the engine light be connected to harsh movement of the engine. The engine twists in the mounts, particularly on heavy accelaration or heavy engine braking. I would try to replicate the circumstances. Normaly driving may not cause the problem, because the engine movement would be less. Good luck with your diagnosis.
That's what I was thinking (Something loose). However, I guess I won't know until I get the check engine light again. Come to think of it, the 1st time this whole ordeal happened was a couple of days after I got my car back due to the 1st-2nd gear grinding replacement (As well as replacing all my gears, thus removing the whole tranny...Long story ) FOR THE 2ND TIME!

As for the harness & sensors, I have no clue b/c the last time I brought it in, they told me the error codes were saying it was a misfire, so they replaced my spark plug(s) & all was fine. Then a couple of days after that, it turned on again & all of you know the rest of the story from here on .
Old 09-20-2001, 10:22 AM

For the record... I just had the stumbling with a check engine, then it smoothed but kept the check engine... they replaced the #2 coil and tightened the sparkplugs.

seems ok now.

Quick Reply: Car shaking & check engine light turning on???