S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Car not starting

Old 04-01-2007, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car not starting

I had some issues a few weeks back when I couldnt get my S to start at work. It would crank, but not turnover. A few friends tried helping me through it pointing out the immobilizer indicator, but it was never lit at any time. After trying a few things, non of which worked, I was able to start the car immediately after disconnecting the battery then reconnecting. I drove it home with a CEL that had appeared after starting. Still no green key.

It stayed in the garage untouched until this morning. I decided to see what was up, would it happen again?

I put the key in, the green key on the dash did appear and flash, then it stayed on. The car didnt start. The key light did not go off at any time that I had noticed a few weeks back. I took the key out (key flashed after removal) and tried again. The key again flashed a few times and stayed lit... no start, then the light went off... it started. The key then went off and on a few times as the car was running then stoped flashing at all. Turned the car off (no flashing key) Removed the key and tried restart. When I put the key in the key did not light at all. The car did not start. I tried a few more time, no start. (CEL was displayed from original start throughout)

I am guessing I can disconnect the battery again to reset the computer to restart it but of course I am concerned about taking the car anywhere.

Any advice, things to try/check/kick?

Not looking forward to bringing an issue like this to the dealer. frown.gif

My S keys are the only ones on the key ring so no other key is interfering. I have tried 2 different keys with the same result.

Going out to pull the battery to see if it then starts fine again.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:40 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Sounds like the dealer is your only choice. I suspect the immobilizer in the steering column has issues and the dealer is the only recourse.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

since you dont want to go to the dealer and the immobilizer part of your problem can only be delt with at the dealer, lets start with what you can do without the dealer, go get that CEL code!