S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Car Making Clanking Noises

Old 03-02-2004, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Making Clanking Noises

i was out last night practicing some cornering at a recently discovered road that has an 'S' turn, ~100m straight followed by a fairly tight 90 degree corner. all conveniently located in a light industrial area

anyway, after about 7-8 runs, i was downshifting from 2nd to first (braking into a 90 degree corner) at ~45kph. i realized i missed the shift into first as i couldn't gear in due to the rev protector thing (didn't blip throttle hard enough). i re-blipped and noticed a strange clanking noise coming from the hood so i held the clutch down. with the clutch held down, the engine light came on (like when you stall the car) and engine just died. turned off the lights, and turned the engine back on. definitely noticed a rougher start. i began to drive the car slowly and now there is a muffled clanking noise that increases in frequency as my revs go up and vice versa. my car is still totally drivable, but that noise REALLY indicates that i should get it checked out.

i guesstimate that there is something wrong with the firing (i.e. distributor, spark plugs?) because it seems like the piston heads are hitting something? i might be completely wrong so i need some 'professional' advice from you guys

p.s. i never thought this to be a serious issue, but before this happened sometimes when my car is in neutral and i depress the clutch i feel a light rumble-like vibration for a second then it goes away. maybe this is related to what's happening?
Old 03-02-2004, 09:15 AM

I get a rumbling "feel" not a noise in the clutch pedal.

Just a question, what the heck are you doing shifting in to first gear anyways?
Old 03-02-2004, 09:24 AM

the same reason why you would downshift to other gears when making a turn

Originally posted by 12345
Just a question, what the heck are you doing shifting in to first gear anyways?
Old 03-02-2004, 09:39 AM

I was wondering just because hardly anyone that i know would do a downshift to first gear... just to stay on the safe side... but hey, it's your car and you drive it the way you want....

I don't think that the rumbling sound you heard/felt prior to the incident is related to the clanking noise you're getting now...
Old 03-02-2004, 09:40 AM

low oil? the severe cornering could exacerbate the condition.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:56 AM
R11

Continues to make muffled clanking noises that vary with RPM? Engine died? Number one, I would not be doing any further driving around before it's diagnosed. It could be any number of things, perhaps as serious as a spun bearing.

ron
Old 03-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Former Sponsor

I don't think you can Down Shift into 1st at any speeds above 20mph...Isn't there a lockout?
Old 03-02-2004, 10:11 AM

he was going at 45 Km/h so it might have been bordering the lock out... i find it extremely hard to even shift into first from a roll around 2-3 Km/h....
Old 03-02-2004, 10:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find I have to STOP completely before I can shift into first, even with rev match it's a biatch.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:16 AM

ace10, low oil... a slight possibility, i checked ~2 weeks ago and it's a tad above full. i have 0w30 german castrol synthetic that's 4000km old. i'm still going to check it regardless.

r11, yes the muffled clanking noises vary in frequency depending on the rpm. if i'm sitting in the car with the windows closed i can only hear the sounds above ~3500rpm. i didn't notice anything rough while idling. and the engine just died when i had the clutch pressed down, something that really puzzled me.
will get someone to take a look at it asap.

shadow, there is a lockout, but you can still downshift to first gear provided you blip the throttle to rev-match reasonably well.

Quick Reply: Car Making Clanking Noises