S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Car jerking heavily when i start off sometimes!

Old 10-27-2003, 05:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay someone explain this one ME friend and I where on our way back from fall colors, he was in a 03 and I have a 02 we were in stop and go traffic after driving 3 hours and when we BOTH STOPPED and then tryed to go BOTH our car were JERKING HEAVILY and they BOTH did it 3 or four times on the way home! What the F-CK is that about
Old 10-27-2003, 05:34 AM

I am that friend and i am dieing to know whats wrong. I also had this happen in the tunnel on the way up to Fall Colors in heavy traffic and i thought i was going to stall in the tunnel! Thank god it didn't stall and on the way home in NYC same thing, but more jerking. I have never had this happen till this weekend in the 5 months of ownership of the car. Now if we only had the guy from Honda's e-mail address from the Fall Colors, we could ask him.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:03 PM
Banned

People say its because your engine is too heated it normally occurs after a hard run and this is true in my case!
Old 10-27-2003, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by ludeboye
I want to know what is the cause for this. Although this only happens once in a while its really annoying. When i start off from a stop in first all of a sudden the car jerks back and fourth heavily, as if the car gets torq boosts over timed intervals. But if i let go the gas and take the gear out and put it back in and gas it it goes away completely... or if i do a hard acceleration it is not there at all? what could be the cause for this. BY the ay these are not little jerks, the car shakes u up pretty good.

Clean out your throttle cable. Thats it.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:11 PM
Banned

Yep, happens to me too, but very rarely. I'm an experienced stick driver--since 15. If it happens, just slam on the gas and "bitch-slap" it. It'll stop. Or just engage the clutch and take it out of gear.

So, cleaning the throttle cable helps?
Old 10-27-2003, 07:13 PM

Mayve a few things such as MAP sensor but most likely it is that you are not constant and smotth in your gas pedal. Try while driving in first mashing and lettig off quickly the accelerator and I can almost guarantee you will get the same effect as u are describing. Be smoother with your gas as you lay off the clutch. I had this problem at first when I drove my S but ever since I became more consistent in dpressing the accelerator, the problem has not occured again
Old 10-27-2003, 07:13 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

From previous posts on this, I though it was pretty well confirmed that it's usually caused by excessive heat in the engine compartment (don't know exactly what it's supposed to affect). The only time it happened to me was in stop-n-go traffic on a hot (90+) day driving through a freeway construction zone. It was pretty much a parking lot for about 45 minutes, and unless I slipped the clutch more than usual - boing, boing, boing......

JonasM
Old 10-27-2003, 07:17 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happens to me occationally. Its usually in a low gear and low rev's for me. I just clutch it and then re-engage with more throttle.
Old 10-27-2003, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honda purposely did this to make up for the lack of low-end tq
they did something with the ignition timing
u just have to be a lil easy on the gas
Old 10-27-2003, 09:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm afraid the S2000 does not have the monopoly on "kangarooing" or "bucking". I used to be able to make my Viper do this, as well as my Vettes. Low torque on the bottom end? On a Viper? I don't think so.
This has been talked about for three years now. It is not new. It has to do with a peculiar combination of many factors - low rpm, heavy throttle, to much clutch too soon, low road speed, usually first gear, high engine bay temps. It is only in a very few cases that it can be blamed on the MAP sensor, so not this time guys and gals. Look toward your starting technique or more accurately, your slow rolling start technique. Rev it up a bit more, slip your clutch a bit more. You'll never kangaroo again. Once you know why and when it does it, you will figure out how not to do it.

Quick Reply: Car jerking heavily when i start off sometimes!