S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Car impounded? Legal advice..

Old 11-05-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car impounded? Legal advice..

Long story short, I got my car impounded on Saturday night by L'ville PD. (reckless driving, cutting someone off) I specifically told the police officer to tell the tow truck driver to be careful with the vehicle. I literally saw her drive the car up the ram and smash the front bumper. The bumper has many cracks in it (VERY noticeable ones) and it can no longer be put on to the vehicle (all mounting holes are ripped) I arrived sunday morning to pick up the car, first words they told me "Come in tomorrow and talk to "chip" about the damages on the car" I go look at the car, bumper is cracked all over and hanging..

I came in today, "chip" was not there... someone else came to me and said "have a good day. bumper was already like that when we got the car."

What could/should I do about this? Are they LEGALLY responsible?

I have pictures of that DAY of the vehicle and it had no damage whatssoever on the bumper. When I picked it up, bumper was hanging. It's $1012.75 in damage. Bumper - $362.75, lip $270, Painting lip - $120, painting bumper - $180 and installation is $80. If it was $200 i'd let it go. It's over a grand.

first thing I saw.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:31 PM

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

holy crap! i would blame the curbed wheel on them too just for the frustration. The tow company should have known better and they are probably insured so open a claim with your insurance and have them fight the tow company if they give you the run around
Old 11-05-2012, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer
holy crap! i would blame the curbed wheel on them too just for the frustration. The tow company should have known better and they are probably insured so open a claim with your insurance and have them fight the tow company if they give you the run around
I just want the car back to how it was before man! I don't need a profit.. I'm willing to cough up some money out of pocket to fix it.. but I'm not gonna pay $1000 for something I didn't break.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AP2wut
Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer' timestamp='1352151088' post='22131248
I just want the car back to how it was before man! I don't need a profit.. I'm willing to cough up some money out of pocket to fix it.. but I'm not gonna pay $1000 for something I didn't break.
This is going to sound shitty, but do you have pictures of the vehicle immediately before the towing process? Or during its transportation from the spot you were towed from to the delivery of the vehicle? If not you may be SOL. They may claim as part of your wreckless ticket that you damaged the bumper.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i wonder if the cop would serve as a witness? Technically, the cop was there and had to have witnessed it. Surely you could get a statement from the police department.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

facepalm.jpeg ......women.....fight the power
Old 11-05-2012, 06:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At minimum, pay the deductable and let your insurance pay for it.
Old 11-05-2012, 07:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

fight it. there is no way you should pay for that even if your were driving wasnt too smart. YOU did not do the damages, SHE did. take it to court and they will pay up before it ever goes to court in most cases. they dont want to deal with the time, frustration, and money that goes into the process of the court. just show them the pictures of that day and tell them exactly what you saw and if they know anything of running a bussines they will pay up for their wrongs.

but it seems that this female only told chip and told everyone else that the car was like that before she brought it in. Maybe she has a special relationship with chip ?? she is responsible and make sure you bug them about it to let them KNOW your not going away.

another good thing to do is to call the cop department and ask to speak or leave a message on the cop's machine that "witnessed" it or that can confirm your car wasnt damage before it was towed. if they say that your damage was due to wreckless driving it WILL be in your police report for your ticket. ask for a copy of the report and take that in and shove it in their face and ask what i hit for this damage to be caused. You told the cop to tell the female and cops ussually stay until the car is towed. so the cop will likely give you a statement. for the most part, cops arent really ass holes and they will help you to their full extent if treated with respect.
Old 11-06-2012, 02:31 AM

karma is a biatch!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:25 AM

I had that sort of thing. Have the towing company pay the bill and if they refuse, take em to small claims court. Of cause you can get your insurance involved, but I wouldn't risk that because it might go in Carfax.

I had no problems getting $500 check for a small scratch on my old Nissan. I recently had the same thing happened to me again, but small claims are booked for over 1 year now, so I will just pass this time.

Quick Reply: Car impounded? Legal advice..