S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Can you believe this (body shop related)

Old 11-07-2002, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you believe this (body shop related)

Okay, I've had my S2K for a month. The first time I took it home and washed it, I noticed a small part of the rear bumper where the paint was peeling off, maybe a half inch long on the area where the rear bumper and the rear quarter panel connect. I decided to take the car into Honda to have it fixed. They told me if I brought it in on Tuesday, they would be done by 5pm with it. They would have to paint the whole bumper to make sure the paint match looked good and just in case the rest of the bumper had a bad paint job.

We'll I took it in on Tuesday. I never got at call, so I drive up there at 5 expecting to pick it up. Turns out, it wasn't done, nobody called me! Okay, now it will be ready on Wed. by noon. Wed. morning I get a call and they say it's too humid, it'll be ready on Thursday by noon. Now it's Thursday, this morning at 11am I called to see if my car would be ready by noon like promised. I was put on hold until 11:30 and was told it would now be done at 2pm. So, 2pm comes and I'm told the paint hasn't dried yet, it'll be ready by 5pm today. I just called the now to make sure it would be ready. Here's the kicker. They told me they were putting the bumper back on and one of the guys dropped his end! . Now they have to paint it again and it'll be ready Friday at noon.

This whole thing sounds fishy to me. I have never ever had to take any of my cars into the shop. Is this the way it always is? I only took it in to get a small half inch paint peel fixed. This has been a nightmare for me. I fear of what they are doing to my car, are they driving it, did they do more damage to it? Why is this small thing turning into such a pain in the @ss? Am I worrying over nothing?

Sorry, I had to vent, this is really killing me. It's part of the reason why I hate having a nice car, it's all the worrying about it all the time!
Old 11-07-2002, 12:09 PM

yeah I don't know, when I bought my car it had a fairly major flaw in the front bumper. I was told I could bring it in and have it repaired. Thought about it and said screw it, I can live with it. but any other service done by my local honda dealership has been awesome. They've really given me respect and prompt service. Sounds like you just have bad luck...or maybe the service dept there sucks...either way you are without the s2000...either way...you are assed out. sorry to hear it...i'd be pissed as well
Old 11-07-2002, 02:28 PM

Welome to the wonderful world of Honda customer service. You would've been better off asking fro dealer recommendations from your local S2K owners. Might've been better to take it to a bodyshop of your choice to get it repaired and have the dealer pay for it.
Old 11-07-2002, 04:33 PM

I've had some insight and experience in the inner workings of a body shop and understand that production delays are rarely mal-intentioned.

Shops have specific bays for performing specific work (tear-down, prepping, painting, drying/baking, detail, etc). They attempt to run their shops in an assembly line fashion. Oftentimes a delay in one area of production has a ripple effect on other repairs in progress. Paint and parts are probably the two biggest causes for delays.

Most of these shops are just small business owners who are very reputable and it's unlikely they are doing anything with your car or even want to keep it longer than necessary. Unnecessarily occupied space in their shop just costs them in production dollars. It's also very unlikely that they would jeopardize a gravy warrantee relationship they have with this dealership.

Just my humble opinion but who knows, maybe the technicians just wanted an extra day of taking turns doing parking brake turns out in the back lot
Old 11-07-2002, 05:02 PM

Personally I think they are jerking your chain, giving excuses instead of telling you they screwed up, overbooked work and couldn't get it done on time. I have had our S in the body shop twice and it was done on time as promised both times even though the first time someone got carried away with a buffer and they had to repaint (it would have been done a day early otherwise).
Old 11-07-2002, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by MarkS2K
Welome to the wonderful world of Honda customer service. You would've been better off asking fro dealer recommendations from your local S2K owners. Might've been better to take it to a bodyshop of your choice to get it repaired and have the dealer pay for it.
Like I said, I've never had to take a car in for work of any kind, especially body work. I mean, I've had brakes done, belts, you know, routine stuff. Can you take a car to a body shop and have it paid for by Honda? I thought all work had to be done by the dealer? If I can in the future take it to a place of my choice, that would be great. Hopefully I'm blowing this out of proportion. It just seems like I keep getting the run around, and the guys in the service dept. are not helpful at all and seriously lack communication skills.

Well, Friday afternoon I hope to see the car, see everything is fine, and get to enjoy a nice four day weekend with the top down (sunny and in the 70's and 80's).