S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

can i run REGULAR unleaded for short stint?

Old 04-11-2006, 06:40 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Unfortunately, the information on Honda's Owner Link is rather generic, and I don't have my owner's manual with me. This is what the Owner Link says:

Does it help to use a fuel with a higher octane rating than required in my Owner's Manual?

- Refer to your Owner's Manual for the pump octane number recommended for your Honda. Use of a lower-octane gasoline than recommended can cause a persistent, heavy metallic rapping noise in the engine that can lead to mechanical damage.

-There is no advantage in using a fuel with a pump octane greater than that recommended in your Owner's Manual.
Personally, I would be willing to run a few gallons of regular if the alternative is not running at all. However, I'd stay low revs and narrow throttle.

I'm surprised your stations are out of premium but have regular - here in Dallas, when stations run out they seem to run out of everything. Where are you located?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i live in scottsdale, arizona. the reasoning for the shortage was the switch over to summer fuels but one employee i talked with speculated that some of the problem with so many stations being dry still had roots in the rally (not sure if that's true though).

i ran her for about 15-20 miles with ZERO bars left trying to locate premium thus my reluctancy to try and make it all the way to costco. i put a gallon of regular in her and didn't take the revs beyond 3K. got her to costco and now she's got 12.2 gallons of premium with a gallon of regular
Old 04-11-2006, 07:12 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

In Dallas, we're seeing shortages for a couple reasons. Here's some info from a Dallas Morning News article.

Gasoline stations must draw down the winter gasoline in underground tanks, clean the tanks and refill them with the new gasoline. If shipments are late, the stations sit empty.

That happened at 60 Valero stations in North Texas earlier this week, the company said. Several terminals where gasoline and ethanol are blended had run out of gasoline, the company said.

Terminals must also empty their tanks of the winter gasoline before stocking summer fuel. And the terminals must install equipment to blend gasoline and ethanol, whereas past summer gasoline types came straight from the refinery, ready to be used.

Plus, Valero had trouble hiring enough trucks to deliver the gasoline because so many trucks were being used to deliver ethanol.

That points to another bottleneck in North Texas: no ethanol depot to store big rail deliveries, said Alon's Mr. Crosby. So trucks must deliver ethanol from depots as far as 150 miles away, he said.

Valero wasn't the only company caught in the crunch. Kroger Co. also had some delivery trouble at its gasoline stations this week, spokesman Gary Huddleston said.

Each gasoline supplier and retailer will have to make the switch this month.
I think saying there's any relationship with the rallies is innacurate.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh, I read this whole thing and not ONE conspiracy theory about requiring higher octane to make you spend more on gas, but your car will run find on 87.

Oh well.

And NO, I'm not advocating 87 octane... I like my s2k running.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Banned

How will your ECU correct detonation due to high compression?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jasonoff,Apr 11 2006, 01:19 PM
How will your ECU correct detonation due to high compression?
your ECU does not read compression in any way, shape, or form.

all your ECU knows is that if there is detonation, it retards the timing. regardless of whether you have stock compression or higher/lower compression. the ECU has knock sensors to detect the detonation and retards the timing. however, it will continuously try to get back to "normal" timing, so it slowly advances timing, but when the detonation occurs, it retards it again and starts the cycle over.

so even if you have regular in there, the ECU will not prevent all detonation, which can be dangerous.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:50 AM
Banned

^ exactly my point. It physically can not prevent it all together.

Is it that hard to buy a bottle of octane boost in this situation? It's not worth the risk otherwise.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:01 PM

If it is temporary, then you should be fine. Just drive your car easy and you won't have to worry about detonation with the lower octane fuel.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:32 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

my experience has been that a gallon or two is ok when you have no choice, then go back to premium, period. i have no scientific evidence to back this up, i have done it with cars for years when i had no choice and had no engine problems. i think the car runs crappy when you put regular in it and there is detonation, however if you have a few gallons of premium offsetting the few gallons of regular ;you might not notice it for a shot distance. just my opinion and what i would do/have done.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:34 PM

[QUOTE=dolebludger,Apr 10 2006, 09:13 PM]When I go to Colorado. their highest octane rating is 90 or 89, and they just NEVER sell the 91 octane stuff recommended in the owner's manual.

Quick Reply: can i run REGULAR unleaded for short stint?