S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Can I get a NEW rear window from Honda??

Old 05-04-2001, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guy's,
I was just wondering if anyone has had their rear window replaced by the dealer? Do I have to call Honda and complain or do I just take it in and start the process with the manager? I have been very careful with the window and it was fine until I kept the top down for about 5 days solid, and now their are some nasty scrapes, not scratches, on the bottom half on the inside of the window. It really sucks!
Old 05-04-2001, 04:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Let me be the first of many many responses you will get on this. First go on the Group Buy section and order your roof well mat from Muz...get a Miata Tube or similar item for keeping your window from creasing itself when it is folded. Order some Plexus from your localmarine/boat supply to clean that window properly. Then go to your Honda dealer service manager, and request the "one-time, courtesy" rear window replacement. Many many of us have gotten it. My window was scratched and creased from the time the top was down on the showroom floor, so it doesn't take long to damage it. By the time your Muz Mat arrives your new window should be in and your troubles are over.
Old 05-04-2001, 05:01 PM

My dealer agreed to replace my rear window last September after the car was a year old as a "one-time courtesy replacement".

I pressed the issue because another owner told me the same dealer, which was not even the dealer he bought his car from, promised to replace the window because it had scratched. In addition, I had a kink in the window when I took delivery which required me to get out after the window was halfway down and straighten the fold nearly every time I put the top down.

Honda issued a service memo possibly around March '00 which detailed how the window should be cared for. Owners who took delivery before this have had their windows replaced under the premise that they had not been told how to properly care for the window when they took delivery which caused it to get scratched. I don't know whether Honda is being this lenient about replacing rear windows anymore.

I second the suggestion about getting a Muz Mat. I starting used a rubber-backed bath mat after about six months, but the window was already scratched by that time. (Remember, it was us original owners that discovered the scratching problem.) When the dealer agreed to replace the window, I immediately ordered a Muz Mat, as it is a superior product to anything I've seen used so far.
Old 05-04-2001, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my rear window replaced under warranty as a "one time goodwill gesture" as well. It took months to go through the complete process. The dealer needed to do all the steps recommended by Honda, the cleaners, hot water to remove creases so on so forth, in the end it was determined that my window needed replacing. It wasnt scratched that bad but had a nasty crease right in my sight line. It distorted everything out the rear window.
Old 05-04-2001, 05:59 PM

I hope when my time comes I can get it for free
Old 05-04-2001, 06:02 PM

I also had my rear window replaced in October '00, after also taking delivery in September '99. Like TFota has pointed out, the window care TSB was not issued until Spring '00 and it already a little late for the "day one" owners. I used that fact to convince a Honda dealer, not the dealer I purchased from, that it needed to be replaced. Actually, there wasn't even a debate. He authorized it immediately. I had previously registered two complaints about the creasing, scratching, and fogging.

I also have a Muz Mat now. I highly recommend it! I use the Miata tube that is recommended in the Honda TSB and so far, no creasing or scratching. I can actually look in the rear view mirror and identify the make of the car that is behind me now!

The question is... How did you get scrapes at the bottom of your window? Is your plastic window somehow rubbing against something in the rear well?
Old 05-04-2001, 07:06 PM

I too have had mine replaced as the ONE TIME GOODWILL GESTURE. It actually says that on the paperwork.

I was also informed of how to care for the window, etc. I am the 2nd owner, and the dealership said it might be hard to get approval for replacement since I wasn't the original owner. I mentioned the TSB being issued after the car was produced, which is a huge part of why I got it replaced. The dealer pretty much said its a wear item, and its not warrantiable, especially since the TSB is out now...

So, for you late 2000 and 2001 guys, take care of that window. If your car was made after the TSB was issued, you are gonna have a tough case to fight
Old 05-04-2001, 08:56 PM

OK, the muz mat and the 'miata' tube keep it from scratching the inside of the window and from getting a crease in the fold if its down for a long time, but isn't there a problem with the outside of the window folding over and touching itself?

Couldn't this potentially scratch the outside if the window is dusty? I noticed that when it folds over the tube it does come together a rest against itself.

I wish someone would just re-engineer a softtop replacement with some kind of glass rear window. But again, its the same issue we face with everything else- there aren't many aftermarket accessories or options for limited production cars.

-B
Old 05-05-2001, 09:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine was damaged from the time spent with the top down at the selling dealer, but that dealer is 700 miles from my home. The replacement was done locally here in Northern Calif. by Walnut Creek Honda very graciously, and relatively quickly. Excellent treatment I must say. Yes it may be tough on 2001's unless there is no specific care in the manual (I have not checked yet) or you can rag on them for not telling you in the delivery schpiel they may or may not have given you. By all means take care of the window with Plexus and/or Meguiar's products (cleaners and polish) if and when you get a new window.

BGuernsey the tube is what prevents the creasing from the window folding on itself, so the outside damage is therefore prevented. The mat keeps the bottom inside half of the window from chafing on the bare plastic well where it gets the scratches on the inside surface.
Old 05-05-2001, 10:20 AM

I have a makeshift tube and it only prevents the window from creasing at the fold. It in no way stops the plastic from touching once it is wrapped over the tube?

See what I mean? It prevents the crease, but the side folding over the tube eventually comes to rest on the lower half- rubbing against it and possibly scratching it if there is dust on the outside of the window.

-B

Quick Reply: Can I get a NEW rear window from Honda??