S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The calipers are done!

Old 05-04-2003, 04:27 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chazmo
[B]Rob,

I'm interested in this dynamic balancing technique.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:33 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally posted by wanabe
i would do the rotors next or maybe s badges on those wheels...
i painted my calipers silver too, and it really cleans up the look of the wheels- and a more subtle look than red.
I like the way the Honda emblem looks so I don't think that I go with the S badges, but the rotors sound very interesting. We'll think about that over the next few days. I took some pictures of the finished product today which will appear next, in a few moments.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:35 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

THats an old hunter system with the wheel spinner and the balancer you attached to the wheel...they did a good job if you took your time and you could get an excellent on car balance..they didn't work that well tho on mag or wider wheels as they didn't give you and inside outside reading so you split the weight on the inner and outer rims......

and rapier that's a nice job on those brakes....wait till those kids can drive...a little knowledge and a little respect for speed are a good thing...and a lot of fun

fltsfshr
Old 05-04-2003, 04:35 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Very interesting! So, if a wheel is out of balance, would the strobe make that visible? I don't really get how that works...

Actually, come to think of it, Rob, I don't really understand how normal, current wheel balancing equipment works. I assume it measures how a wheel wobbles up/down/side-to-side as it spins, where a perfectly balanced wheel won't wobble. When the wheel is attached to the balancer, I would think the machine can measure the deflections.

Anyway, thanks for explaining this. I'll have to hit the library at some point to get a better understanding of this process (being the kind of guy I am! ).
Old 05-04-2003, 05:09 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Sunday, May 4, 2003
8:51 P.M.

Andrew (my 15 year old) left early this morning to go skateboarding with a few buddies. He would be coming home at 7:30 P.M. E.W.A. (my wife) said it was alright as he had done all of his homework on Friday evening and Saturday morning. E.W.A. doesn't let either of the kids get away with anything.

Adam and I wanted to take the S out for a spin, but the G2 instructions said that the curing time was 24 hours. We were frustrated, but decided to wait. Still, the calipers looked great.

The silver doesn't contrast as much as a color like black or red might, but Adam and I like the subtlness of the color compared to the body.

We think we made a good choice.

Anyway, 6:00 P.M. rolled around and Adam and I decided to take a drive. We got into the S and had our usual great top down time. We got home a half hour later and were so pleased with everything that we decided to wash our S.

We washed it, I chamoised the body, Adam did the wheels. The car looks great.

E.W.A. made a great Sunday evening dinner, Andrew came home, Adam and I put the S into the garage.

All in all, another great weekend.

By the way, thank you to everybody for all of the very kind words. Also, thanks for all of the technical help/info. I don't know half as much as most of you but we sure do like working together on our little S.

As soon as we decide on our next project, I will write about it.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great story, calipers look great. Your son is a teriffic painter, as I saw no masking tape and there was no paint where there shouldn't be. Nice to see folks getting their kids interested and involved in improving the looks of cars. What's better is no one ever gets in any trouble improving and caring for automobiles. Oh, and if you guys are going to remove the windshield tape, better to do it sooner rather than later. It is much easier to remove while the car is somewhat new. I removed mine about 3 months after ownership.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:31 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Thank you.

We only used masking tape during the brake cleaning part. We covered the rubber parts to avoid getting the cleaner on them.

The painting was all done freehand.
Old 05-05-2003, 02:39 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally posted by fltsfshr
THats an old hunter system with the wheel spinner and the balancer you attached to the wheel...they did a good job if you took your time and you could get an excellent on car balance..they didn't work that well tho on mag or wider wheels as they didn't give you and inside outside reading so you split the weight on the inner and outer rims......

and rapier that's a nice job on those brakes....wait till those kids can drive...a little knowledge and a little respect for speed are a good thing...and a lot of fun

fltsfshr
fltsfshr

Is anybody still doing this? It seemed like such a good idea.
Old 05-05-2003, 06:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ralper...
1) I think that the previous post was correct, your kids will look back on this fondly in the years to come. What a great experience. Just hanging out with dad and fixing his hot rod. Veru cool
2) Your sons did an excellent job! Want to make a road trip to VA? I don't have kids and am too busy to paint my calipers? They can start a little mobile caliper painting buisness...college is expensive!

-thanks for sharring the great pics!
Old 05-05-2003, 06:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ralper...
1) I think that the previous post was correct, your kids will look back on this fondly in the years to come. I lost my dad last year and it was the times like this I remember the most and always bring a smile to my face. What a great experience. Just hanging out with dad and fixing his hot rod. Very cool
2) Your sons did an excellent job! Want to make a road trip to VA? I don't have kids and am too busy to paint my calipers? They can start a little mobile caliper painting business...college is expensive!

-thanks for sharing the great pics!

Quick Reply: The calipers are done!