S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

The calipers are done!

Old 05-03-2003, 06:12 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,494 Likes on 1,161 Posts

Saturday, May 3, 2003

Last week Adam (my 9 year old) and I successfully built ramps, changed the oil and filter and installed a Fumoto Oil Valve in our S. So pleased were we with our results that we decided to take on a more complicated task. One of my collegues has a MY00 S2000. His calipers are rusting and they look horrible. Adam and I decided we can't allow that to happen to our S, so our project for this week was to paint the calipers.

We decided that we were going to paint the calipers silver to match our Sebring Silver S. About a week ago I ordered the G2 caliper paint kit over the internet. Its arrival earlier in the week hightened our excitement, and made the week seem longer. Adam and I were anxious for Saturday when we could paint our calipers.

Yesterday one of my collegues called to remind me that a certain client needed a finished tax return by early next week for the bank. I said Monday, the client said Saturday, and Saturday it was. I woke Adam up early this morning and he came to work with me. We left for home at noon, anxious to get to the calipers. On the way home, we stopped at the "Annual Northern New Jersey British Car Show" which is held once a year in the next town. I am addicted to old MGs, especially MG-TDs, and Adam and I have been going to this show since he was 4. We stopped for 1/2 an hour, admired all the old roadsters and headed home to finally paint the calipers.

We drove the car onto the ramps, and using our floor jack, jacked the car up. Earlier in the week I had posted a question about jack and jack stand points and many of you answered. I even read a tip from xviper about putting carpeting on the jack and the jack stands to prevent scratches. I followed the advice and the car was up on the stands in no time.

An added benefit to all of this was that my 15 year old Andrew was also home, and he decided to help. With all of this help, this should be a breeze, I thought. Anyway, we proceeded to take the wheels off.

I had heard that you are supposed to put the wheels back on exactly the same lugs as they were on before as to not change the balance. I don't know if that is true or not, but we marked one lug and the corresponding hole on the wheel with black marker so that we could put them back on the same way.
Wheel markings.jpg[/PHOTO]

Next, using compressed air, we blew off all of the dust.

We sponged the calipers, taped the rubber parts and sprayed them with the brake cleaner included in the kit. Finally, we mixed the paint and the hardener and started to paint.

Two coats and two hours later we were finished.

We put the wheels back on, took the S off of the jack stands, drove it off of the ramps and we were done.

Another job well done.

Another great day with the S. Both kids learned an awful lot. I learned an awful lot. We all had fun, worked hard and spent some time together. This time it was the three of us, a special treat.

Now, on to our next project. I want to buy and install an X-brace. Andrew thinks we should Zanio the car and Adam wants to remove the black tape around the windshield. What should we do next? What should the next project for our S be?
Old 05-03-2003, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As always, I read your post with a smile. It doesn't matter what your next S project is, Ralper. The fact that you are bonding with your boys is really what's important. They will remember this stuff for a lifetime.

to a dude who understands the concept of Fatherhood.
Old 05-03-2003, 06:54 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ganthet
[B]As always, I read your post with a smile. It doesn't matter what your next S project is, Ralper. The fact that you are bonding with your boys is really what's important. They will remember this stuff for a lifetime.

Old 05-03-2003, 07:00 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Nice, Rob!!!!!

Now what the heck are we gonna do about those damn rotors!
Old 05-03-2003, 07:06 PM

Received 68 Likes on 39 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ralper
[B]What should we do next?
Old 05-03-2003, 07:15 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Chazmo

Thank you. I agree, the rotors look horrible. Maybe a new set of slotted rotors for the next project.

Kodokan_4

I do agree, a project like clearing the lights and putting all of that money into the oven is exciting, but I am taking a different approach. I am trying to get my kids involved in projects that will teach them some of the skills that I think they will need to know. The calipers, while I want them to look good, are almost irrelevant. Todays project was really about teaching them to jack up the car, remove the wheels, use compressed air and etc. I feel very strongly that we need to teach our kids things that they might need to know. Not to make them into mechanics (unless that is what they want to be), but rather so that they should know how things work.

And, I like being with them and sharing common interests.
Old 05-03-2003, 07:29 PM

They look good! Isn't great spending time with your children doing something you all enjoy! I love working on the car with my daughter close by, shes only 5 but shes loves cars! We all find it funny when shes the one asking if we can take the "sports car" as she calls it

Great story! Your boys will remember this days!
Old 05-03-2003, 07:39 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally posted by darkknight1999
They look good! Isn't great spending time with your children doing something you all enjoy! I love working on the car with my daughter close by, shes only 5 but shes loves cars! We all find it funny when shes the one asking if we can take the "sports car" as she calls it

Great story! Your boys will remember this days!
Darkknight1999

My father used to ask me jokingly, "What if you'd had a girl instead." I put my hands on my hips, looked him straight in the eyes and answered, "Well then, she'd know an awful lot about cars."

I truly believe that in today's world the girls have got to know what the boys know and the boys have to know what the girls know. I think its great that our kids are sharing the sportscar experience with us.

What a great car our little S is.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:12 PM

I couldn't agree more!
Old 05-03-2003, 08:23 PM

That's cool that you let your son help.

Quick Reply: The calipers are done!