S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

CALI window tint and the law...

Old 05-01-2008, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CALI window tint and the law...

Hey guys about to move to San Diego from the south... and i want to tint MY00 here it is 35% is legal... cali is 70% for legal... which is the factory window tint for UV blocking... so basically window tint on the front windows is illegal period in cali... my question is...

How much do they actually enforce this law?? I mean here in Memphis TN the legal limit is 35% but i have had 5% on my cars before and never had a problem.. so i didnt care.. so i am thinking maybe they wont be that strick on this law in cali either??

If your from cali or socal san diego area... let me know what u opinion is?? what do you think about how anal the cops are about this tint issue?? any encounters with the law?? what is your take?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:34 PM

It is pretty strictly enforced out here. Everything is pretty strictly enforced out here unfortunatly I think almost all of my friends probably 80% that have their windows tinted have been givin a fix it ticket for it.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:48 PM

Anything from the driver's seat forward can not be tinted (sides and front). Even a fix-it ticket has a processing fee ($20, I think)
Old 05-01-2008, 03:51 PM

Ya its $10 and you have to take the tint off and have it checked off by a police officer or something like that. PITA!
Old 05-01-2008, 04:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you should ask in the SoCal forum...
Old 05-01-2008, 04:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had my windows tinted for the past 2 years and they're pretty dark. I can't remember the % though but I haven't had a problem. I live in San Diego. I can only remember a couple times where I had to roll my windows down to 'hide' my windows. It does get pretty hard to drive at night though if the top is up.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm from San Diego and I've been ticketed for this exact reason. Sucks because the time I got the ticket I had just gotten the windows tinted a week prior. I had to peel it off and get the inspection.

The actual citation is a "Secondary Violation" but if the cop sees you and wants to pull you over, he'll come up with a reason and then when your stopped will tack the window tint on top.

Pretty much falls in line with the no front license plate citation.

Majority of the time, if you are not drawing attention to your self and the cops are having a good day, you will not run into problems. However, if any one of those variables does not go your way, be prepared to get the ticket.

I would not recommend that you be cavalier about it and drive past or pass a cop with your driver/passenger side windows tinted. You're just daring them to pull you over.

Tint at your own risk. Unless you are just unlucky, majority of the time you won't have a problem.

Tim
Old 05-01-2008, 06:49 PM

I have had 35% on mine for 3 years. I have driven by cops all the time and have not been stopped for it......yet. Knocking on wood now.
Old 05-01-2008, 06:56 PM

Wow... that is wild.. ive been spoiled out here never been in trouble with my illegal tint and it is limo tint... haha.. it feels like you were driving in a cave at night.. soooo dark... but i dunno how i will get use to this new law in cali.. that blows... i could live with 35% as legal but no tint at all.. damn...

what about this front license plate thing??? is that a law too?? you must have a front?
Old 05-01-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, in California the law requires to have a front license plate.

Quick Reply: CALI window tint and the law...