S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Buying S2k. Bit curious though.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying S2k. Bit curious though.

I've searched a lot of threads and read a lot of them. I haven't found an answer to the question that I had though.

I actually almost bought this car however.., unfortunately there are 2 deaths in my family recently and I must take care of all the family issues before I purchase a car. (Family comes first!!) Since I can't pick up the car, I thought...HEY.. WHAT THE HECK..let's ask!! SO here it is...

I'm thinking about buying a 2000 s2k.
Seller first did not post the fact there was a hole or a rip in the top, but when I talked to him he did.
He did tell me that it was patched from inside though. So I was bit relieved. He told me that it does NOT LEAK during hard rain. However I told him that I wanted to take the car to a touchless car wash just for the leak sake. I KNOW that it's not the way to wash a car, but I kind of wanted to simulate hard rain to test the leak. I'm sure most of people who took their car even once to a touchless car wash..the water pressure is strong mainly only twice or so.. usually once for pre-soak. Then for the rinse.
Only few days before I tried to pick up the car, he then tells me it will leak if I do that.
I've dealt with some convertibles AND T-Tops in my life.., and none of them really leaked during the car-wash!! I'm NOT bashing on the guy.., I just wanted to know if other s2k owners have NO LEAK even during the HARD RAIN, but LEAK at carwash?
Please tell me. Thank you so much in advance.
Oh..one more thing...he said he doesn't have stock cat and told me that I can pick a stock cat up at s2ki for 50 bucks....is that the usual going rate? I thought it'll be more like 250 or so at least. Thanks again.

-soul
Old 04-12-2009, 08:35 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

1. Sounds shady, I'd run from this seller.
2. He should knock money off for the rip in the soft top.
3. Mine does not leak in a touchless car wash or with a garden hose.
4. Taking off the stock cat is illegal. Technically, selling a used cat is also illegal.
5. Going rate for used cats is >$100 + shipping.
6. Make sure he has a functioning 2' O2 sensor (that goes in the cat).
Old 04-12-2009, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree, find another s2k there are tons on the market right now for cheap.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:45 PM

Man the reaction or replies are GREAT here. THank you so much.
His is the only s2k that's going under 10k right now within 5 hours of drive range.
I don't mind paying another 500 or so.., but I want to hear other people's opinion before I purchase the car. I know most people do not sell their s2k according to KBB value. I know people sell it a bit higher I believe. However this guy is 1400 higher on a GOOD CONDITION, private sale value.
However it's hard to find a s2k under 100k miles under 10G. Argh. More opinions please??
ANd again..thank you so much for your replies.

-soul
Old 04-12-2009, 09:24 PM

Like Ckit said he sounds shady imo I would stay away.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:27 PM

yeah and youll prob want a new top too soon if you buy which is expensive, thats what happened to me, didnt like the plastic now im getting a conversion...
but yeah, sounds shady
Old 04-12-2009, 10:18 PM

Hmm... i see.
Do you think I'll be an A-hole if I put up his for sale link here? Maybe that way people can see his pics and judge too?
I'm not trying to reveal that person and ruin his sale.., but I don't know.
If he was like hour away..i'll go take a look but 5 hours is not exactly an easy distance to travel and back.
ARGH!!
-soul
Old 04-13-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've heard that you shouldn't take our car into an automated car wash since the car might leak between the window and the top. The car isn't really meant to take pressurized water from the sides. At least that's what a I've read from the wash and wax forums.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:11 AM

i agree with everyone else here, stay away.
if the stock cat was replaced with a testpipe, the car most likely was modded in other ways too.
if i were you I would find something that has no evidence of ever being modified.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:41 AM

there might be more that hes not telling u.. if u gonna buy it, look for holes on the top, some might even be the size of a safty pin...

Quick Reply: Buying S2k. Bit curious though.