S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Buying from private dealers

Old 04-28-2009, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying from private dealers

How safe is it to buy from a private dealer in the states? Especially Florida?

Looking at an s2000 listed from a private dealer in Florida. I'm a little worried about buying from dealers in FL, heard there's lots of floods there and last thing I want is to buy a flooded car.

Anything I should worry about? Anyone from the FL area might know which dealers to stay away from?

Thanks
Old 04-28-2009, 09:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Carfax is your friend, so is common sense.

Take any car you want to buy to YOUR mechanic to be checked out.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 AM

It should be fine, I'd post in the regional forum for the area and see if someone out there can check out the car before you make the trip, also to get recommendations about a good place for an inspection out there...

Besides carfax, i'd run an autocheck as well... one of them might have info that the other doesn't.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a broker to take care of it so you have someone responsible. They will get it checked in Florida.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:31 PM

From my experience of buying used cars, the best cars are mostly from private parties, however you do want to find the right kinda sellers.

What to look for in a private party seller

1. Car enthusiast

they typically take care of the car better than the average person. My roomate who isn't a car person who can careless about the paint condition, engine condition as long as the car looks shiny and the car runs fine to him. As opposed to him, I pop my hood to check all the components on the weekly basis, I wax my car on a monthly basis, and I'm always on top of my maintenance.

2. Seller with multiple cars

Why? They don't need the car hence they're selling it for a decent price. Their cars have lower miles compared to others.

3. More mature drivers

They don't tend to abuse the car unless they track it. Even when they do, it doesnt not neccesarily mean they abuse the car. Usually have all the records.

Theses are reasons why I would always choose to find a private seller from a dealer.

cons: sold as is...so it's your responsibilty and your risk to ensure the car is in good condition.

However, as long as you find these qualities in a private seller, you're in pretty good shape.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:37 PM

/\ Sorry I misread the question, I assumed your question was about private parties...I think my suggestion is still valid.... and I would try to stay away from small independent/private dealers..
Old 04-28-2009, 01:27 PM
tof
Member (Premium)

Received 2,094 Likes on 1,409 Posts

A good mechanic will be able to spot one of the many telltale signs of a car that has been in a flood.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by stitos2k,Apr 28 2009, 09:12 AM
Carfax is your friend, so is common sense.

Take any car you want to buy to YOUR mechanic to be checked out.
carfax is NOT your friend.
in fact, i'd say it actually your enemy.
carfax gives you confidence to buy a car that has no accidents blah blah blah
nobody gives carfax info. i've seen so many cars that have obviously had paintwork and the owner or dealer will say but it has a clean carfax.
having carfax is literally worse than having nothing at all.
Old 04-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by humara,Apr 29 2009, 08:56 PM
carfax is NOT your friend.
in fact, i'd say it actually your enemy.
carfax gives you confidence to buy a car that has no accidents blah blah blah
nobody gives carfax info. i've seen so many cars that have obviously had paintwork and the owner or dealer will say but it has a clean carfax.
having carfax is literally worse than having nothing at all.
Probably the worst post I have read on here. You obviously know absolutely nothing. If you get in an accident and the police are called it will be on the Carfax report. Any significant accident involving another car at least will have the police come.
Anyways to the OP yeah carfax is definitely your friend and as others have said common sense. Check for any accidents in it's history and check body panels for poor alignment due to replacement panels.
I bought my car from a private dealer and have had zero issues with the car. Got the carfax from them which checked out great and was good to go.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by 2003s2k2003,Apr 29 2009, 05:53 PM
Probably the worst post I have read on here. You obviously know absolutely nothing. If you get in an accident and the police are called it will be on the Carfax report. Any significant accident involving another car at least will have the police come.
Anyways to the OP yeah carfax is definitely your friend and as others have said common sense. Check for any accidents in it's history and check body panels for poor alignment due to replacement panels.
I bought my car from a private dealer and have had zero issues with the car. Got the carfax from them which checked out great and was good to go.
OMG FAIL

a. there are many many many serious accidents that don't get police reports.
b. having a clean carfax often leads people to lower their guards which could lead to a buyer missing something
c. i looked at about 7 s2000s before purchasing mine. 5 had accident damage that i was able to discover and all had clean carfaxes

this might help you understand

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2009/vehicle...ports/main.html

apology accepted