S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

buying MY04/05

Old 12-09-2004, 01:16 PM
WPS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its winter, you should pay invoice , they still get holdback
Old 12-09-2004, 01:30 PM

go to the dealer. and go when it snows.!!! you can chip off alotta off youre price. 1. it's winter 2. it's a convertible.

go to the dealer and say your friend got a deal at 29700 and if they can't beat that then i will just go to the dealer that gave him that deal.
"and the color i wanted was on the lot" this and that to make them almost give it away.

this would be my approch and worked about 85% of the tim
1. research
2. find where you car is
3. drive there.
4. look around for 30 minutes
5. ask for a sales rep
6. tell him the deal your friend got
7.tell him that it was the color he wanted.

the following splits
thisis if he says ok to the deal
8a. if he can get the deal go with it. becasue it will be hard to get lower. especially brand new when they just came out.
8b. if he says 30k just don't say to much say bye will go to a better dealer. and walk out. if he chases you then you know he can give that deal since it's alittle over invoice. then go back to 8a if he can give you that deal.

Works like a charm.

the rest is up to you options etc.

If you got a trade. don't expect to much above wholesale. try to get the wholesale atleast
Old 12-09-2004, 01:44 PM
WPS

also negotiate the out the door price so if they 'have' to charge doc fees or some other bs fee then it's included. no hidden surprises.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would suggest you just buy the s2k without the accessories because you're going to paying interest for five years on that hardtop and spoiler. just wait and buy them outright. good luck!
Old 12-09-2004, 03:50 PM

Any honda employee that knows, correct me if I am wrong....

Invoice on the S is about 29500. So the dealer makes about 4500 if they sell it at MSRP. It is almost impossible to get it at invoice price. So, 30,995 is a great deal. The dealer wants to make at least $1,000 on a car.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by luv2speed,Dec 9 2004, 07:50 PM
Any honda employee that knows, correct me if I am wrong....

Invoice on the S is about 29500. So the dealer makes about 4500 if they sell it at MSRP. It is almost impossible to get it at invoice price. So, 30,995 is a great deal. The dealer wants to make at least $1,000 on a car.
Your not taking into account a thing called 'holdback'. The dealer gets premium if a car is sold within a short period of arriving at the dealer. So if the car is sold the day it hits the lot the dealer can sell it at invoice and still make some money.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:18 PM

I have been using www.autobytel.com a couple of times and it works out pretty good. You put in there what you want, color, options, etc. and put the price you want to pay. They contact dealers around your neighborhood and usually the internet manager, who ends up being the fleet manager as well will shoot you an email back.

A couple of other options are to fax dealers what you want, color, options, price, etc. and have them ONLY fax you back the quote. Once you have it in writing you can take it to another dealer and ask them to beat it.

Good luck!
Old 12-09-2004, 06:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this on an Acura RSX a few years back, and it worked well for me.

Call several dealers within an acceptable area you're willing to travel, to purchase this car. Be upfront and honest with each and every one of them, and simply say:

"I am going to purchase this car today. I will give you until 4 PM today to Fax or Phone me your absolute best *out the door* price."

Be sure to specifically state the exact accessories you want.

I ended up saving myself about $2,000 over what I could get that car for locally. Had to travel a couple of hours to get it, but it was worth it.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Axel6,Dec 9 2004, 03:45 PM
I bought my 04 last year from Garden State Honda in Clifton. I got it for $30,500. I think you can get AT LEAST another $500 off your quote.

Be persistent. They WILL cave.
do a 'pricing' search in the Metro section as well...

I got my 04 from Garden State in Clifton too... I paid just over 30K for mine in April of 04 - Tommy the owner - Jimmy D (the biggest salesman I've ever seen) will deal with you to move a vehicle - I reccomend these guys - the sales guys don't know too much about the S (but which ones generally do?) - and the service department is friendly & accomodating but again none of these guys see enough S's to really know about them (IMHO) - but I would go back to them in a minute for another car...that's more than I can say for some other dealers I've purchased from over the years...

good luck - happy hunting - let us know how it turns out!
Old 12-09-2004, 06:44 PM

and BTW - think Spring Spacers removed? (search the forum for new car delivery inspection information)

Quick Reply: buying MY04/05