S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

buying higher mileage s2k's

Old 10-11-2007, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying higher mileage s2k's

hey everyone,

im not sure this is the correct section to post this, if its not i apologize.

i am a SSgt in the Air Force and im currently deployed to Afghanistan, ive been on this forum for roughly a year or so and im finally buying an s2k when i return to the states in january. i currently drive a 02 lexus is300

here is my question:

would any of you consider buying a higher mileage s2k? ive found some 01-02's with 70-85k miles on them at carmax for $16k-$17k. i bought my lexus used at carmax and my experience with them was top notch and they have a few s2k's im looking at that are very clean . the low mileage ones sell fairly quick but im wondering what your opinions on buying a clean higher mileage s2k are.

thanks
Trevor
Old 10-12-2007, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually I have sort of the same question as you, but this is how I look at it:
It's a Honda, which can easily last 200k+. The only concern I'd have is if you are going FI in the near future go for a lower mileage one.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:13 AM

I'll sell you my 01 with 58k miles for $17,000... thats how much I paid for it
Old 10-12-2007, 12:13 AM

you can find better priced ones from private sellers
Old 10-12-2007, 01:05 AM

i dont plan on going FI....NA boltons and cams for me

i plan to trade in my is300 for an s2k.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a few things to look for in an older model, high mileage s2k...I know, mine has 104k on the ticker.
1. Up to the middle of '02, some F20C's had defects in either the crank or rod bearings, causing an oil starvation issue resulting in bottom ends that develop rod knock by the mid 60k mileage mark. Any s2k's that were produced after that are free and clear, and any older ones that have made it past that mark without serious oil consumption managed to get the good parts. I know of a shop in Tampa that's had to rebuild dozens of old F20C's due to this issue.
Other than that, the only other major point of concern so far has been....well.... none. These cars are pretty well built. You'll probably want to go thru and put new brakes and new clutch components in it, as well as change all the fluids, but off the top of my head, that's about it. I'm still on the my original clutch (granted it's time is coming), original brake pads and rotors (I have no idea how they've managed to survive so long), and check the suspension bushings and grease seals...you may need to replace a tie rod end or 2 due to rotted rubber seals, but really, that's about it.
I'm about to go thru mine with a fine tooth comb and replace the drive belt, spark plugs, valve springs and retainers, brake pads, rotors, and fluid, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing, and give it a good once over.

These cars really are the epitome of Honda engineering. They are built very, very well.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by wildcardtrd,Oct 12 2007, 04:59 AM
There's a few things to look for in an older model, high mileage s2k...I know, mine has 104k on the ticker.
1. Up to the middle of '02, some F20C's had defects in either the crank or rod bearings, causing an oil starvation issue resulting in bottom ends that develop rod knock by the mid 60k mileage mark. Any s2k's that were produced after that are free and clear, and any older ones that have made it past that mark without serious oil consumption managed to get the good parts. I know of a shop in Tampa that's had to rebuild dozens of old F20C's due to this issue.
Other than that, the only other major point of concern so far has been....well.... none. These cars are pretty well built. You'll probably want to go thru and put new brakes and new clutch components in it, as well as change all the fluids, but off the top of my head, that's about it. I'm still on the my original clutch (granted it's time is coming), original brake pads and rotors (I have no idea how they've managed to survive so long), and check the suspension bushings and grease seals...you may need to replace a tie rod end or 2 due to rotted rubber seals, but really, that's about it.
I'm about to go thru mine with a fine tooth comb and replace the drive belt, spark plugs, valve springs and retainers, brake pads, rotors, and fluid, flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, TO bearing, and give it a good once over.

These cars really are the epitome of Honda engineering. They are built very, very well.
well taking the chance of buying one that has a ticking time bomb defective motor is a major concern of mine. maybe i should invest in the extended warranty....lol

but really, what is the likelyness of getting a bad motor?

this has me concerned
Old 10-12-2007, 05:23 AM

I dont think it's a good idea to buy a high mileage S2000 for upper teens from Carmax. Simply because they're overpriced. If you are intent on buying from Carmax, pay a few grand more and get one with 20k miles or so.

Brand new S2000s can be had for about $30k out the door.
If you buy used ones from a dealer, low mileage and late model (04 and up) S2000s can be had for around $21-24k dollars.

If you buy privately and take some time to search, $17-18k will get you a really low mileage and clean 2001, or a slightly higher mileage 2002-2003. There were some really clean 2001 models for sale here recently and I almost bought one.

If you buy private, you should be looking to spend around $17-18k and the car should't have more than around 30k miles.

If you buy from a dealer other than carmax, whatever S2000 you find thats comparable to the ones being sold on carmax, it should be around $2500 less than Carmax.

Just some ball park figures to help you. FYI I bought my 2nd S2000 a couple of weeks ago for $14,700 dollars. It was a model year 2000 with 37k miles. I think it was a good buy. No way I'm spending upper teens for a S2000 with 70-80k miles from Carmax. Eat ramen if you have to but save a few grand more and get a much newer one with 20k miles. You won't regret it.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by hokiemax,Oct 12 2007, 05:23 AM
I dont think it's a good idea to buy a high mileage S2000 for upper teens from Carmax. Simply because they're overpriced. If you are intent on buying from Carmax, pay a few grand more and get one with 20k miles or so.

Brand new S2000s can be had for about $30k out the door.
If you buy used ones from a dealer, low mileage and late model (04 and up) S2000s can be had for around $21-24k dollars.

If you buy privately and take some time to search, $17-18k will get you a really low mileage and clean 2001, or a slightly higher mileage 2002-2003. There were some really clean 2001 models for sale here recently and I almost bought one.

If you buy private, you should be looking to spend around $17-18k and the car should't have more than around 30k miles.

If you buy from a dealer other than carmax, whatever S2000 you find thats comparable to the ones being sold on carmax, it should be around $2500 less than Carmax.

Just some ball park figures to help you. FYI I bought my 2nd S2000 a couple of weeks ago for $14,700 dollars. It was a model year 2000 with 37k miles. I think it was a good buy. No way I'm spending upper teens for a S2000 with 70-80k miles from Carmax. Eat ramen if you have to but save a few grand more and get a much newer one with 20k miles. You won't regret it.
you are absolutely right..thanks for the info...
i looked on cars.com and found that s2k's are cheaper on there. found a couple 04-05's for $20k-$21k. carmax is just really conveniet and you are alot less likely to get scammed. i might get lucky and the prices drop even more during the winter...who knows

i have to use my is300 as a trade in though. i already have a 04 mini cooper S (wifes car) and my drift car wich is a 84 nissan 200sx.. i will have a nice chunk of change from being deployed as well.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine has 120k with a rebuilt motor at 100k, I bought it stock for 11,900. It has needed nothing in the 2 months I've had it.

You just gotta shop around and find what works for you.

Quick Reply: buying higher mileage s2k's