S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

buying decision, Do you guys get harassed by Hondas?

Old 05-03-2002, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FormerH22a4
[B]I don't think that it should be a variable in your buying decision. Who cares if they rev, let them waste some gas. Personally, i haven't been reved on but have seen a lot of rice fly bys. We have our fair share of rice up here but usually they would turn the heads 90 degrees and Young, old, men or women, doesn't matter everyone just since they don't know what the car is.

I receive more positive feedback from this car than my 00' Prelude, while cruising on the highway, this 2.8 A4 caught up and then pulled aside, honked and gave the
Old 05-03-2002, 07:11 AM

I have recently gone through the same decision process.

I had my eye on the S2k since '99, and finally test drove a silver 2001 model with 14K. It was all over, hooked is an understatement. That used car was priced at $28K. So I began to compare prices of new against used and here is what I found:

- Used models hold their value remarkably well, so the difference in those prices and MSRP ($32,480) is usually around $4K to $5K (Assuming the used car is in good shape and has reasonably low miles)

- Finding a used one in good shape, at the right price in the preferred colors can be very difficult

- Many dealers mark up the 2002 models above MRSP, some as high as $5K (Atlanta). But I called 15 dealers in the Southeast and 3 agreed on the phone to sell at MRSP. I used the dealer list by state from the Honda website. Takes a little time but worth it.

- The 2002 models have a lot of minor enhancements (you can see lists of these elsewhere), but the transmission, stereo and rear glass upgrades plus the warranty and only 12 miles on the new car are IMO worth the price difference. The other thing is tire wear. You will have to put new, fairly expensive tires on a used one sooner.

- Engine break- in on these cars is pretty important, I wanted to do it myself and be certain it was done right. (Even though I cheated once or twice during that boring 600 miles....)

- Especially for this type of car you gotta wonder how a used one was driven/treated....

So I bought a Black/Red 2002 model for MRSP and never looked back. Going on a 3 day road trip in it, leaving in about 30 minutes......

Good luck in whatever your decision you make.
Old 05-03-2002, 09:59 AM
Doc

It's funny, i have TRIED to get some ricers to at least rev on me and when i will get next to them on the freeway or downtown they all of the sudden slow down and let me by instead of reving...they don't want to mess with the S since most of them know it will kick butt on most ricers (i say most)....the only one i have actually "raced" was an older CRX driven by some high school kid who punched it and knew he would lose because he and his buddies were all laughing and giving the thumbs up the whole time and saying stuff like "sweet ride" and such...they were just playing...i more often then not get good comments and legitimate questions on the car...i have yet to have a "oh...that's a honda" - said with a sneer - thing that people talk about...it has been a great experience so far..

JJ
Old 05-03-2002, 10:11 AM

I've had one stupid kid try to race me in the six month that I had the car -- really stupid, because a) I don't do that stuff, b) it was early rush-hour traffic, c) he actually passed some cars on the shoulder of the road. If you're not the type who has ego problems, just don't let them provoke you and don't worry about it. The S is a fun car. 'nuff said.

And the few bucks you typically "save" by buying used really are not worth it. Spend the extra two grand or so and buy a new car, you'll enjoy it more. Who says you have to buy locally? Just yesterday there was an ad in the Chicago Tribune from Grand Honda (http://www.grandhonda.com) for a new 2002 Spa Yellow for $29,960 or something like that. I'm sure they'll stick on some options/fees/rip-off attempts, but it might still be worth it to buy it out here, fly to Chicago and drive it home.

Just my $0.02
Old 05-03-2002, 11:40 AM

I know I should let others affect my buying decision, but that type of behaviour really annoys me.

On another note, I have several people I work with (all higher management of course) who have made some comments that I've ignored so far. My boss has an M roadster, which I really can't afford.

Another has a Boxster S. And one of the engineers I work with just bought a '91 Acura NSX (automatic, eewwww).

I know stock I probably wouldn't have any bragging rights over an M roadster, but I'm pretty sure the s2k could take the NSX and maybe the Boxster.

Not that any of us would ever road race, but you know, it's just bragging rights.

I think a nice shiny comptech supercharger under the hood would make them think twice.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:15 PM

I had a Boxster for almost 3 years...and I still own a 911. Driving my S only generates "race posture" when I rev. I am at 545 miles and found out about the 600 mile no VTEC rule after reading the owners manual 60 miles into my car. What REALLY ticks me off about this situation is I asked SIMON at Bellevue Honda if there were any initial restraints ( Like my Porsche and BMW) and he said no. Even in the test drive he let me rev it as much as I wanted. So I have a very experienced S2000

But on your subject....it is funny that I seem to get just as much attention in my S2000 than I do in my 993. ...and thats a Polar Silver 993 with Fikse FM10's.....

But I am having sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much fun in my 02' S2000!!!!

Cheers!

S in S
Old 05-03-2002, 12:35 PM

My co-worker gets a kick out of me calling my S just a "Honda".
Old 05-03-2002, 12:45 PM

I live in the street racing capitial of San Diego and work in Mira Mesa where well every third car is a raced out civic or the like. I get revs at night but during the day not even once. In fact they seem rather nice, if I go in to get gas and there is a riced out civic they will normaly come over and talk about the car.

It's quite nice, also now within my circle of people I know from work I am know as the guy with the striped Honda and well everybody now comes to me for advice on what to get next, it never gets old, I think I have had more luck with venders with my car as I take them to luch or out for a spin they come back and well they remember your name to say the least.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:15 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kraziken
[B]I know I should let others affect my buying decision, but that type of behaviour really annoys me.

On another note, I have several people I work with (all higher management of course) who have made some comments that I've ignored so far.
Old 05-03-2002, 03:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kraziken
[B]I'm seeing a lot of used S2k's with between 2000 and 5000 miles selling for around $32k.

Quick Reply: buying decision, Do you guys get harassed by Hondas?