S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

buying decision, Do you guys get harassed by Hondas?

Old 05-02-2002, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying decision, Do you guys get harassed by Hondas?

Hello,

I'm seriously thinking about picking up a used S2k. I have a few questions.

Because the car is a Honda, do you tend to get riceboys trying to race you all the time? I bought my wife a Civic SI, because it is a nice sporty "practical" car. During nice days, it doesn't take long before some EX or HX Civic with a Coffee Can exhaust is trying to race me.

I like fast sports cars, but I don't care to race anyone. Ultimately I like speed, but to me it's not everything. I know from reading this forum that everyone appreciates the car for more than 0-60, etc. etc.

However, I used to have a 3rd Gen RX-7 (which I'm still considering as a purchase). One thing I did appreciate from that car, is people would leave me alone. Once in awhile I would have some ricer revving his engine at me, but it was rare.

Also, how is the car's driving characteristics? I think I understand that it is pretty docile under 5 or 6000 RPM. I think this is a bonus for me. The RX-7 is one car where I felt the car wanted to go faster on its own. Anytime the RPM's would creep near 4k it would really take off. It's nice if you like to speed all the time, but I found it just made me drive faster than I really should be.

I just get the impression the S2k is a nice cruising car. Plus I figure the Honda is going to have better reliability.

How do you guys fell about the digital display? I love everything about the car, but I think I'm partial to analog gauges.

Thanks for your input!
Old 05-03-2002, 12:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do get some revs, but not nearly as many as I get in my CRX. I think that most people know better than to try and race the S2k. Most people bitch about the lack of torque. Under 6000rpms it's kinda like your wifes Civic Si. After 6000 rpms all hell breaks loose. But if you think about it, if your racing, the only time your going to be under 6000 rpms is in first. After you hit vtec, you stay in vtec through the rest of the gears. It does kinda suck in traffic. Especially withe the A/C on. Personally I love the digital display. If you prefer analog, Spoon makes a really nice one.
Old 05-03-2002, 12:44 AM

Sorry, I have a tendancy to just ramble.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:35 AM

Thanks for the info.

Your B16 CRX has got to be pretty quick. I found the spoon instrument cluster that you mentioned and I like it quite a bit.

I think I've been bitten by the roadster bug. I was really looking into another RX-7, but I took a ride in my friends new Special Edition British Racing Green miata. I know it's no S2000, but I enjoyed the drop top more than I expected.

Now if I can get some of these dealers to let me take one for a spin.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:51 AM

Received 330 Likes on 279 Posts

Unless you can find a used s2k at a great price you are better off getting a new one.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think ricers (as opposed to true enthusiasts and people that actually do more than make the car look "ricey) will rev and try to run just about everybody. With the S2000, there probably is a different respect from most import fans, knowing its capabilities and sometimes.... well... they probably just want to hear what 9000rpm sounds like.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:01 AM

I'm seeing a lot of used S2k's with between 2000 and 5000 miles selling for around $32k. I know when I walked into my local dealer the car was marked up to $38k.

I saw one with 14,000 miles on it selling for $25k.

I haven't found a dealer yet that didn't have a serious markup on the S2k. Even the local dealer I bought the Civic SI from, I had to haggle quite a bit because they know kiddies like the SI.

So I'm really primarily looking for used, but the improvements in the 2002 are nice.

Most of the improvements seem minor EXCEPT, the transmission, which has been stated is smoother. Anyone had a chance to compare the two?

The stereo I don't care as much, and the rear window I would assume could be modified.
Old 05-03-2002, 05:44 AM

FWIW, my dealer had a 01 with 14K, which he had me test drive. $29,995. A new one is $32,840. For less than $2900, I chose to get the new one and know how it gets broken in.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:25 AM

Well, I don't think that will happen so much as other people calling your car "shitty because its a honda" kinda thing. When I talk to people about the s2000 there like man that car must suck because its a honda. Then I show them a picture of it and show them the specs on it...and there like "oh shit, I did not know honda made cars like that". Of course these guys are the people who know nothing about cars.

As for people trying to race you. I would deffinitly expect tons of people trying to race you. Not just rice though, probably everything with a teenager in it.
Old 05-03-2002, 06:44 AM

I don't think that it should be a variable in your buying decision. Who cares if they rev, let them waste some gas. Personally, i haven't been reved on but have seen a lot of rice fly bys. We have our fair share of rice up here but usually they would turn the heads 90 degrees and Young, old, men or women, doesn't matter everyone just since they don't know what the car is.

I receive more positive feedback from this car than my 00' Prelude, while cruising on the highway, this 2.8 A4 caught up and then pulled aside, honked and gave the

Fun factor, reliability, safety, power, resale value should be deciding factors not ricers with coffee cans.

Quick Reply: buying decision, Do you guys get harassed by Hondas?