S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Burning little to no oil after Billman valve adjustment

Old 09-07-2014, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Burning little to no oil after Billman valve adjustment

and TCT replacement.... Not to jinx myself, but I drove out to Billman about a month and 1/2 ago for the Once Over.

I had him replace oil with Castrol Edge Synthetic that I already had been using. So it wasn't a change in brand. But to my surprise... I have been checking my levels regularly and to my surprise, the dipstick is still at top mark. I've put on about 1k miles since and would normally see a couple of Xs lower on dipstick by now....

Is it possible that a valve adjustment, spark plug torque (he didn't replace plugs. said I had another 20K left in them) and replaced TCT
result in less or no more oil burning??????
Old 09-07-2014, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my TCT, retainers, and had a VA done. For maybe a few hundred miles the oil level never went down....but I think I just had a little more oil in there.

Since it went down a few x's after some hard driving I noticed it still burns the same amount as before all that work was done.

I attribute my period of "no" oil loss to me just overfilling the car slightly.

But I always keep oil on deck with my honda
Old 09-07-2014, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by civdaddy
I replaced my TCT, retainers, and had a VA done. For maybe a few hundred miles the oil level never went down....but I think I just had a little more oil in there.

Since it went down a few x's after some hard driving I noticed it still burns the same amount as before all that work was done.

I attribute my period of "no" oil loss to me just overfilling the car slightly.

But I always keep oil on deck with my honda
I see. I thought maybe there there was something in the valve adjustment that would have helped. I didn't burn all that much, but it was consistent. This was also the second oil change since I changed brands. So maybe that contributes to less burn as well. I switched to Castrol Edge Synthetic because some had good luck with less oil consumption.

I'll keep an eye on it as I always do. Billman checked my retainers and they were perfect and my engine looked 100% healthy inside.
Fantastic engine and car.....
Old 09-09-2014, 03:37 PM

I dont know if 1k miles is enough confirmation. But I had way less oil burning when I switched to edge from mobil 1. Most of us know mobile burns on these engines. These cars always burned oil though so how wud doing a valve adjustment cure this if they came new adjusted?
Old 09-09-2014, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by dsthez
I dont know if 1k miles is enough confirmation. But I had way less oil burning when I switched to edge from mobil 1. Most of us know mobile burns on these engines. These cars always burned oil though so how wud doing a valve adjustment cure this if they came new adjusted?
I have a feeling that I am burning less because this was 2nd oil change since switching to Castrol Edge. I read that some people needed 2-3 cycles of oil changes to new oil before they noticed a decline in consumption.

I did notice an improvement after the first change, but so far the dipstick hasn't shown not even 1 "x" decline so far. So, I know it is primarily the change in oil, but I thought maybe there was something in the valve adjustment and torgue check of spark plugs that may have contributed to less consumption. As if the engine is more efficient after service.

Regardless, I have a 6 pack of oil handy and always check routinely.