S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Bumper Doesn't Match Rest Of The Car?

Old 07-19-2004, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumper Doesn't Match Rest Of The Car?

I just had my front and rear bumpers replaced on my my00. The paint on both bumpers seems a little lighter than the paint on the rest of the car. The man at the body shop said that this is due to plastic bumpers not taking the paint the same way as the rest of the car (metal) does, so in fact they will always be slightly different colors. Is this really the case or did he just feed me a line? Please let me know.
Old 07-19-2004, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they should turn out pretty close but paint on plastic is not going to turn out the same as paint on metal (from what i've seen anyway, really depends on the color also)
Old 07-19-2004, 07:23 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its true to a certain extent. the silverstone is a beeeyatch to match because i found out the hard way that honda changed the formula in 01 or 02 vs the 00 color slightly...hence why my 04 front bumper is way off and i have to get it resprayed.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:51 PM

Yeah...but when honda changed the formula they made silverstone darker in order to make way for the sebring silver into the color range.

S2Kasey is indicating that the bumpers are lighter than the rest of his 00 car - probably nothing more than a bad paint job.

You should get it redone.

My only other theory is that the bumpers are spot on for the 00 color and the rest of your car has at some point had a full respray in the newer silverstone color
Old 07-19-2004, 09:54 PM

All i can say is no ###$#@ silverstone touch up ever matches they are always to dark!!!
Old 07-20-2004, 03:13 AM
tru

the only way to really match it is to blend it in, which would include spraying all the edged that come in contact with the bumpers (hood fenders trunk) it is very hard to match light colors.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:32 AM

The man at the body shop said that this is due to plastic bumpers not taking the paint the same way as the rest of the car (metal) does, so in fact they will always be slightly different colors.
It's funny you bring this up now.

I just got this same answer from Honda. Which makes sense to a degree.

I'm getting a new front lip done right now at a body shop (NOT Honda). Honda told me that because the bumper is plastic, it basically won't come out the same color. Just slightly different. I just got a call from the body shop this morning. I was suppose to pick up my car today. BUT, they told me it didn't pass Quality Control. I'm guessing it's the fact that the bumper is probably a different color just like Honda told me. This shop said it doesn't want to give the car back to me until it's perfect. So I'll let you know tomorrow how it comes out and I'll ask if they had a hard time which it sounds like they're having one. If it comes out good and I can't tell the difference in color, I would definitely tell you to bring it back and get it fixed.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:35 AM

I bet the only quality check there doing to your car w/ the extra day is a good quality joy ride
Old 07-20-2004, 07:48 AM

LOL.

You know I was thinking about them doing that when I first brought the car there. I have the mileage written down. Damn I will be pissed if they added some!
Old 07-20-2004, 07:53 AM

keep me posted, id like to see if they really did, it would kinda be funny to an extent

Quick Reply: Bumper Doesn't Match Rest Of The Car?