S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Breaking in period

Old 03-12-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Breaking in period

Can anyone help me on this...
Just got an 05 delivered last weekend. In my excitement to get in and drive off, did over the recommended rpm (probably about 7500 max), before doing 1000km.
Will this affect the future performance, like not hitting VTEC for example afterwards. Coz when I now go to 7500, or higher, I don't get a noticeable difference in performance. And I've gone past the 1000km now.

Anybody with any experience?
Old 03-12-2005, 03:07 PM

Nobody?
Old 03-12-2005, 03:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're fine...

If you've driven 650 miles, rip VTEC all the way up to 8k!

You really didn't hurt anything, and performance will not be affected.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:47 PM

When I took the test drive and purchased mine, with 8 miles on it, the guy at the dealership redlined it a couple of times to show me the VTEC effect. Once I got home and read the manual, I was very upset to discover that there IS a prescribed break in period of 600 miles. I made formal complaints at that time, just in case. Now the car has 13 thousand miles, and it is just fine, no problems at all. In fact, it doesn't use any oil at all, even 3000 miles after an oil change. If I don't VTEC a lot (now I do it only a couple of times a week), the oil is still pale yellow after 3000 miles! If I VTEC a lot, it gets pale brown, but I imagine that's normal. In sum, I wouldn't worry about it.
Tonino.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mandocorri,Mar 17 2005, 07:47 AM
When I took the test drive and purchased mine, with 8 miles on it, the guy at the dealership redlined it a couple of times to show me the VTEC effect. Once I got home and read the manual, I was very upset to discover that there IS a prescribed break in period of 600 miles. I made formal complaints at that time, just in case. Now the car has 13 thousand miles, and it is just fine, no problems at all. In fact, it doesn't use any oil at all, even 3000 miles after an oil change. If I don't VTEC a lot (now I do it only a couple of times a week), the oil is still pale yellow after 3000 miles! If I VTEC a lot, it gets pale brown, but I imagine that's normal. In sum, I wouldn't worry about it.
Tonino.
you let some one drive your brand new S????

i got mine delivered and i was there when it came off the trailer... i then signed the paper work to say i recived it. I pulled the plastic off, they did their checks on the car. i then got in the car which had a wopping 3 miles on the clock. i then got home and i had done nearly 800 miles
Old 03-16-2005, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by ADAM_ROB_UK,Mar 17 2005, 12:00 AM
you let some one drive your brand new S????

i got mine delivered and i was there when it came off the trailer... i then signed the paper work to say i recived it. I pulled the plastic off, they did their checks on the car. i then got in the car which had a wopping 3 miles on the clock. i then got home and i had done nearly 800 miles
He meant during his test-drive, before he bought the car, that the salesman Vtec'd the car.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:46 PM

Maybe I have looked in the wrong areas but has anyone performed a hard break in and seen any diffrence in performance? I would be interested in oil consumption as well.
Old 03-16-2005, 11:48 PM

No there is no difference in performance/oil consumption....the crap rumors about 'hard break in's' floating around the net are just that....crap....
Old 03-17-2005, 03:59 AM

Same thing happened to me when I bought my 2K. The salesman took me out and showed me how to go into "hyperdrive" (VTEC). Car had 75 miles on it, I put on another 10. Bought the car after I test drove it. Then next day, I'm reading owners manual, it mentions the sub-5,000 rpm break in period. I've wondered about those 75 miles and how much VTECing had been going on at my expense before I bought it. Honda (dealership) should do a better job of preventing sales personnel from doing such stupid things. That does put the salesman in a little bit of a situation, here he is trying to sell a car that has this neat thing called VTEC, and he can't demonstrate it. That being said, most cars have a break in period, at least any car I've ever bought did. You know, the old standard under 50 mph for the first 500 miles. And, during that test drive, I always punched it to test the car's acceleration and passing ability. Therefore, I suspect that most people do that in most cars during the test drive(s). I don't know that there is a rash of engine failures/damage occurring out there as a result. Therefore, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. The car performs like a dream. And, hey, if things go awry, I'll ride on my 100K warranty.
Old 03-28-2005, 04:24 AM

My 2005 manual says please do exceed 5500 rpm for the first 600 miles. I have adhered to that but I have hit a little over 6000 a couple of times.

My sales guy said please do not exceed 7500 during the test drive, which was a different car. Several sales people I talked to said that a lot of people who buy S2000's seem to want them undriven and I was one of those. My car had 14 miles and was on the showroom floor.

What I think is that Honda doesn't want somebody to take a new car and run in V-tech all the way home. The odd blip close to redline probably doesn't hurt anything.

I still believe the old advice about not driving at steady speeds during breakin. I also believe small 4 cyl engines are probably hurt more by lugging than over revving(below redline) which I also am careful about not doing regardless of mileage.

Quick Reply: Breaking in period