S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Break In (Full Throttle? = any problems)

Old 03-10-2003, 08:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The key to breaking an engine in, is to follow the manufacturers recs.
No -- that's the key to them not having to service your engine while it's under warranty.

Read this:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Oddly his procedure is almost identical to those given out by aircraft engine makers. I have used this procedure on every car/motorcycle/airplane I have owned with zero issues ... ever.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Um, aero engines are used in quite a different fashion than car engines. They usually are run at a constant power setting for long stretches of time (akin to cruise control on a flat freeway), and for the less powerful airplanes, they tend to run at a higher percentage of total power available for long periods of time (akin to driving your S2k on that freeway at 130mph). Another major difference is that aero engines often don't radically change power and rpm settings on a constant basis like car engines. Airplanes don't have to deal with stoplights, stopsigns, and stop and go traffic (at least while in the air)

Aero engines are used differerently than car engines, therefore I'd expect them to have different design and break-in requirements. I'd be worried about someone basing a car-engine breakin procedure on an aero piston engine.
Old 03-10-2003, 09:27 AM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally posted by steve c

No -- that's the key to them not having to service your engine while it's under warranty.

Read this:

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Oddly his procedure is almost identical to those given out by aircraft engine makers. I have used this procedure on every car/motorcycle/airplane I have owned with zero issues ... ever.
This is good info, thanks for the link.

Hoof - most info on this page is about piston engines, not airplanes. Did you even follow the link?
Old 03-10-2003, 11:30 AM

Yes I did, and I've seen that page before. I was referring to steve c's suggestion that the page's methods were similar to an aero engine. I was merely pointing out that aero engine break-in proceedures aren't necessarily optimal for a car engine, not that the link was about aero engines.
Old 03-10-2003, 11:30 AM

I did check out the link above from another post, that is actually what sparked my curiosity.

So it looks like so far nobody has had any issues directly attributable to not properly breaking in the engine to Honda spec's.

Is it possible that an apples to apples comparison of 2 S2k's broken in using these different techniques would result in a measurable HP difference?
Old 03-10-2003, 11:33 AM

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hoof
[B]Yes I did, and I've seen that page before.
Old 03-10-2003, 12:22 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I wouldn't be surprised if break in strategy had something to do with the difference between S2000's RWHP. Every dyno day I've attended had mostly stock S2000s putting down anywhere from 185-201 HP.
Old 03-10-2003, 03:29 PM

if there was a smiley for a stopped heart i would post it right now...
Old 03-10-2003, 06:29 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gernby
[B]I wouldn't be surprised if break in strategy had something to do with the difference between S2000's RWHP.
Old 03-10-2003, 06:42 PM

Since the is no solid evidence that the manual is wrong, I decided to go the way of the book.

That said, if you've played it safe for 400 miles, would it hurt to wait another 200 miles? I'm telling you, it goes by fast, especially on a S.

You may not get any engine failure for 2 years, 5 years, or even NEVER, but I bet you would be feeling better about the engine in the long run knowing you took care of it in the beginning.

Quick Reply: Break In (Full Throttle? = any problems)