S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Break-in

Old 07-03-2002, 10:44 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Break-in

I am about to take delivery of my new yellow S2K in a couple days. I have been visiting the site the last few days and stumbled upon some comments about a break-in period. I asked my dealer about it and he denies that there is any need for a break-in period. He tells me to "drive the car the way it was meant to be driven". What is the truth? Any assistance would be appreciated.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

don't listen to the dealer...

read your owners manual and DO NOT v-tech until you hit 600 miles
Old 07-03-2002, 10:59 AM

VTEC meaning 6,000 RPM? God, that will be excruciating. Maybe i'll put 600 miles on the 1st day to get it over with. So, does the manual give break-in instructions? Thanks for the help. I'm obviously a newbie.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by OhioRacer
VTEC meaning 6,000 RPM? God, that will be excruciating. Maybe i'll put 600 miles on the 1st day to get it over with. So, does the manual give break-in instructions? Thanks for the help. I'm obviously a newbie.
yeah, there are a couple threads a month that go over this, but i'll be glad to comment as i posted the same question when i got my S couple weeks ago.

do your best not to rev it above 5000. some say 5500, but I say take it easy and gradually work your way up to 5000 has your rev limiter during break-in. try to vary the engine speeds and avoid staying in a narrow rpm range over an extended period of time. as you near 600miles, check your oil and gas mileage. even after you break the 600 mile marker, don't VTEC the motor at every stop light. treat it as though your continually and gradually breaking it in. VTEC it, but rev to say 7000k then shift. add more miles then incremently increase your own personal "redline" to 8k then 9k. I'm at about 1200 miles and i'm shifting at about 7500rpm. I suppose I may be taking it a bit safe, but the car feels great.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it does..

the car begs for 6k rpms - - wait till you see what she can do after 6k - - it's like there is a whole new engine under your hood

a few points - - always CHECK your oil as the s2k eats oil during the brake in

vary your speed and rpms

i'm sure when the search function retruns you'll find a ton of info..

have fun
Old 07-03-2002, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the help guys. Interestingly, I have also found conflicting information on oil changes. Some say wait till 3750, others say do it almost right away. Funny you should mention the difference over 6k. Honestly, the car doesn't have near the balls off the line that a Z3 does. But I understand the real pleasure of this car is over 6k RPM. I'm anxious to find out what that's like.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:15 AM

Originally posted by OhioRacer
Thanks for the help guys. Interestingly, I have also found conflicting information on oil changes. Some say wait till 3750, others say do it almost right away. Funny you should mention the difference over 6k. Honestly, the car doesn't have near the balls off the line that a Z3 does. But I understand the real pleasure of this car is over 6k RPM. I'm anxious to find out what that's like.
i do believe that the break-in oil is a mineral oil. if you check right now, it is much more transparent and less honey colored than conventional motor oil. i'm going to wait till 5000 miles. 3750 is recommended for severe driving conditions. 7500 is recommended for normal driving conditions. unless you plan to beat and tear apart the motor as soon as you break the motor in, i believe 3750 is a bit soon.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:22 AM

I wish I could check it now. I don't get it for a couple days. The dealer is loacating one and it appears they will get one from about 40 miles away. What scares me is given the break-in requirements, how do I know the person driving it up here is going to adhere to the break-in rules? My guess is they won't. I wonder what other options I have.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:25 AM

it's very important to make sure that your not signing for the car until your able to inspect it. if i were you, i would go and drive 40 miles to check out the car myself; then buy it from the dealership that has it. "new" cars should only have 6-15 miles on them. mine had a mere 6 miles when i got it. the dealer babied it to fill up the gas. i'm almost positive there was no abuse.

dont rush into buying one. choose the color you want and get one with relatively low miles.
Old 07-03-2002, 11:30 AM

Well...I think it's too late for that. I already signed the purchase agreement and gave them a $500 deposit. I test drove a silver one (which they had) but wanted a yellow which they said they could get quickly. So I left it in their hands. The salesman was helpful to me, so I didn't want to stiff him and drive down the street to buy from someone else. And I got it for a little under sticker, which, from what I've been reading, is a pretty good deal.

Quick Reply: Break-in