S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Brake Rotor Rust

Old 04-23-2002, 04:02 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Brake Rotor Rust

Has anyone tried to remove the Rotor Rust from the brake rotors with "Skyco OSPHO?
It works on rust by chemically changing the red rust color to black.
The rust on my rotors and rims after washing is driving me crazy.
Does anyone have any other ideas?
Thanks for the help,
Larry
Old 04-23-2002, 04:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It works but the rust will be back. I have found that header paint (1300F silver) works best. If you go to the track the shiny top layer cooks off but enough stays on to prevent rust. For street use it is fine. My current rotors were cad plated that did not last; frankly I think the paint held up to track heat better.
Old 04-23-2002, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't paint your rotors, it doesn't work well. I painted mine two months ago and they already look ugly.
Old 04-23-2002, 06:03 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Nside
[B]Don't paint your rotors, it doesn't work well.
Old 04-23-2002, 10:21 PM

Originally posted by cdelena

Perhaps you did not do a through job, as I have had better luck than that. Ideally they should be removed and thoroughly cleaned and dried before being masked and sprayed with three light coats of header paint. After installing they can be heat cured using the heat the brakes make. Mine looked great with months of street use and only dulled with the heat of track use.
I think I did a pretty good job. I first sand blasted the rotors, then cleaned them, and cured them after all was said and done. I used VHT 1500 degree paint (the highest temp I could found). The paint specifically say not to put on multiple layer, that will cause blistering. It's not that the paint isn't holding up, I think it's taking the car out when it is wet. The waters transfers rust from the brake pad to the painted surface causing the paint to be stained with rust. I'm sure if I washed the rotors with a sponge (and rubbed really hard) the rust would come off, but here's no way I could keep up...
Old 04-24-2002, 03:09 AM

I assume we are talking about rust on the edges and vanes. Of course the swept area will rust (like most cars) but gets cleaned off with a brake application. The '02 we looked at recently appeared to have some sort of treatment on the rotors.. does it not reduce rust?
Old 04-24-2002, 05:56 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Guys but I bet there is a easy way to coat the rotors with some type of heat paint that will hold up. I think I'm going to try ONE first by treating it with the OSPHO rust removal/coating liquid and then use the silver Header paint cdelena indicated.
Larry
Old 04-24-2002, 06:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

unfortunately, the only real solution is to replace them...
Old 04-24-2002, 07:20 PM

Affordable cross drilled rotors...now THAT is a mod I'm interested in. It's crazy to spend two hours detailing a car, go back inside to eat a sandwich and come out to see that mess.
Old 04-24-2002, 07:32 PM

I have over 9,000 miles and one track day on my rotors no rust!!!

Brad

The car lost 27 pounds also.

Quick Reply: Brake Rotor Rust