S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Boot Cover TSB

Old 08-28-2001, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone found an actual copy of this TSB that we can post yet? Going to the dealership next week and I need all the ammo i can get to deal with the service department...
Old 08-28-2001, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine has always popped up... so I just don't have a boot cover anymore. I also found it hard to put on and harder to remove. I got tired of scraping my hands trying to get it off. Its just not worth it. I'm not really sure what Honda was thinking when they designed this part...it fails for a large number of us and I think the reason is the little plastic tabs just aren't enough to hold it under the lip.

It looks ok, but its just not worth the effort. I question whether the TSB will really help. I don't find that my boot touches the top at all- its the derned malformed shape of the boot in the front that makes it want to naturally flex up in the back and the little plastic tabs just aren't going to work when you hit a few bumps. In effect the boot is spring loaded and mine, despite being stored folded out, never seems to flex in the front correctly.

-B
Old 08-29-2001, 04:28 AM

There may be more than 1 problem going on here, but I have driven several times now with my top down, and after I performed the TSB myself, the boot cover has NOT come loose. I am satisfied that this has fixed my problem.
Old 09-03-2001, 02:17 PM

So the rubber stops need to be turned five FULL turns as in 360 degrees? I have the same stupid problem!
Old 09-04-2001, 05:01 PM

ok.......Its been one of those weeks.........how do you view the TIFF format of this TSB? I only get the first page when its viewed as a .tif
Old 09-04-2001, 06:02 PM

Received 169 Likes on 150 Posts

I had this work done about 2 months ago, after having driven for 18k miles of the boot popping up.

The boot now stays down, and it is 100% easier to get on and off also.

With the stops not adjusted properly, the retracted top has a tendency to bounce up and down, knocking the little plastic clips out from under the back ledge and then flapping around.

With the top adjusted down, it also gives you more hand room to put it on and off.

I would strongly suggest if you are having problems with your boot popping up in the back, take it to your dealer and get the limits worked on.
Old 09-04-2001, 06:12 PM

If the stop is adjusted too low, the rear window will be scratched by the roof material.
Old 09-04-2001, 06:31 PM

Well, I am annoyed by the goobers at Carr's Honda, Chicago.

I went in for an oil change and the TSB (which they had not heard about
till i told them ).

I get my car back at the end of the day and take the top down...looks like
it's at the same height when I brought it in. I told them this and they
looked at me like I spit on their mothers grave...they pointed to a new S2000
in the showroom and suggested that we take a look at it together, as if to
prove to me I was a crazy - so I called them on it and went in to see how
the new S2000 folded its top....and lo and behold it folded flatter than my
just fixed top

They looked confused but emphasized that the technican did what the TSB
said.

I haven't tested it out on the freeway but I will be VERY surprised if they fixed
the problem.

I have seen in another post about the boot a Silver S2000 with the folded top almost
flush with the rear deck (very flat), and he did not state any problems with the
window scratching after the fix.

Just a side note: the head service guy (not the technician) didn't even
know how to put on/take off the boot. And he thought chrome was behind the
black tape on the a-pillars (maybe he was testing me - he couldn't be that
dumb...or could he?)
Old 09-12-2001, 11:11 PM

Update:

Came back from the dealership for the second time and it appears that the TSB will correct the problem. The drawback to having the top fold flatter than before seems to be a more scratched up plastic window (also my roll bars seem to have been scratched up by some mysterious phenomena )

If and when we do find that we can retrofit the glass rear window, I'm wondering if the top will have to be readjusted up - it really seems like there is a lot of pressure pushing down on the plastic one now.
Old 09-13-2001, 04:41 AM

I haven't had any more scratches since I did this fix. Of course, I do use a Muz mat and a tube for my window.

Overall, I think there is a reduced chance of a scratched window because now the boot cover stays down and keeps out dust and dirt.

Quick Reply: Boot Cover TSB