S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Boot Cover TSB

Old 08-22-2001, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boot Cover TSB

For all of us having problems with the boot cover coming untucked in the rear, I have found TSB 01-038 for this issue. I finally found a dealer who had a copy of it and faxed it to me, but I don't have any way to post a copy of it. Basically, it involves adjusting the "lowered position stops". If you lower your top, place a ruler (or something similar and flat) across the black trim around the top well, and measure the height of the folded top. If it is more than 2 inches above that trim, you need to have this TSB work done -if you want to use the boot cover

This has been one of the few nagging problems that I have had with my S2K. Since I don't trust anyone at my local dealer, and the dealer I bought the car from is almost 300 miles away (which was a GREAT dealership), I'm going to do the repair myself this weekend.
Old 08-22-2001, 11:25 AM

Never heard of this TSB. They had a recall on the boot cover, but not a TSB. I'd be interested in seeing this. Can anyone post it for him??
Old 08-22-2001, 11:31 AM

I now have this TSB as a .tif

I can e-mail to someone if they can post it.
Old 08-22-2001, 05:49 PM

Dont bother with the TSB. They had my car for two days, only for the boot cover to pop up on the way home. They also replaced my boot cover, and had the same result. Im taking it again next week, for them to hopefully order me one with bigger tabs or something or order me the old one (my first s2000 it never popped off), i am selling the car, what a great impression it will leave if they take it for a spin with the boot cover on and it pops off.
sam
Old 08-22-2001, 07:42 PM

I'm not totally sure of what we are talking about. Could someone post pics? Thanks for your time.
Old 08-23-2001, 04:51 AM

I e-mailed the copy of the TSB to HondaGal - she sai that she would post it in the Library section.

I performed the repair myself last night - the top now sits over 1/2" lower in the roof well - this should help prevent the rear of the boot cover from coming untucked.

samss2000:
The repair only took me about 1 hr - I don't know what they could have done to your car for 2 days.

Forrest2b:
I wish that I could post some pics (I don't have a digital camera). I (and MANY others here) have had a problem with the cover becoming untucked in the rear while driving. Basically what needs to be done is to lower the rubber stops in the roof well so that the top retracts farther. The rubber stops are located in the roof well near the quarter panels. It requires lowering the top halfway, and removing the plastic trim on the sides, behind the seats. Using a stubby ratchet and a 12mm crows foot, loosen the locknut (they are a little difficult to reach - definitely not a job for people with big hands) and screw the rubber stop down 5 turns. Check the operation of the top, tighten the locknuts, and reinstall the rim. It took me less time to perform this repair than the time I would have spent dropping the car off at the dealer - and I know the job was done with care.

Hopefully the full TSB (with pics) will be posted soon.
Old 08-23-2001, 06:15 AM

They said they were backed up and couldnt get to it. My boot cover also sat lower, however the back still managed to pop off.
Old 08-24-2001, 04:47 AM

I took my car for a long drive last night and the boot cover stayed tucked in - the first time since I have owned the car.

I don't know what happened to samss2000 car at the dealership he took it to - that's why I wanted to do the work myself.
Old 08-24-2001, 06:53 AM

The TSB helped, but it still managed to come off. Im from michigan. The roads are horrible hear.
Old 08-24-2001, 07:13 AM

The rough roads definitely cause the top to raise up a little when it is retracted - which is what pushed on the cover and caused it to untuck at the rear. I noticed that on smooth roads, it would take a while for the cover to become loose before I made the repair.

In the TSB, it says to lower the rubber stops by 5 turns - maybe the dealership didn't lower it enough. I purposely took my car over some very rough and undulating country roads last night, and the cover stayed put. Before, it would have taken only a few miles before the cover would come loose. It was a pain, and I was worried about it flapping around while I was driving.

Quick Reply: Boot Cover TSB