S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

bogging the engine is how bad?

Old 08-24-2004, 05:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Honda 224 GTS,Aug 24 2004, 03:16 AM
What is going on here? Everytime I really start to enjoy the S2000 I am reminded that the car is coveted by so many people that can't even drive a manual transmission. You would think that the S2000 would appeal to those who have graduated up the ladder of "sportcardom" and wanted something more connected for spirited driving. Sadly, it seems that many S2000 owners are just now learning how to shift.

So sad. This is not a blanket statement, obviously, because there are undoubtedly many on here who know how to drive ... but it bothers me nonetheless.

Gee, "PreppyS2000", maybe you should order an automatic transmission S2000. Or wait for the SMG version. All of the BMW guys who "think they can drive, but really can't" are opting for those.

WARNING! Do not pull up close to an S2000 when it is stopped on a hill. Driver is probably young, inexperienced, and new to manual transmission. And you know the S2000 e-brake doesn't hold very well.
So I guess the S2000 is reserved only for those people who are perfect stick drivers already... Maybe Honda should start putting disclaimers on the cars? "We won't sell you the car if you can't already drive stick."

I don't understand why you think the S2000 can only appeal to someone who can already drive manual. I don't see how being able to drive stick alters a person's appreciation for a car. I can see the S2000 has a lot of great things about it without needing to know how to drive it perfectly.

And just so you know, yes I bought the S2000 as my first manual car and I'm learning on it. I'm being careful while I'm learning, I'm not dropping the clutch or anything stupid like that. But I don't think there's anything wrong with wanting to learn or learning on the S2000.

Sorry, I didn't realize the S2000 was a "snob" car that can only be owned by a "true driving enthusiast". Wait, am I on a BMW forum? It almost sounds like it.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:50 AM

Good thread! I've had several manuals and noticed my S2000 drives a little different too.

On a related note, for daily driving around town, what is the best RPM range to shift from gear to gear? I've noticed my car shifts a lot easier if I shift in the 4K to 5K range as opposed to around 3K which is where I used to shift my other cars.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe in STL,Aug 24 2004, 07:50 AM
On a related note, for daily driving around town, what is the best RPM range to shift from gear to gear? I've noticed my car shifts a lot easier if I shift in the 4K to 5K range as opposed to around 3K which is where I used to shift my other cars.
Your shifting experience (as it relates to rpm) with other cars must now get thrown out the window. The torque curve, gear ratios and final drive in this car makes it so. In a sense, it is these kinds of expectations and "experience" that make for many new S2000 owners to have initial difficulties in driving the car.
You should not be confined to any specific rpm for shifting. You must alter your shift point dependent upon the motoring environment: Are you going up or down a slight incline (or big incline)? Are you trying to negotiate a quick departure from an intersection? Are you on a very slippery surface? Are you moving up on the car in front of you? Can you anticipate the need to slow down up ahead?
Failure to be "flexible" in these techniques will only lead to an unsatisfactory driving experience and possibly a dangerous one.

But, if you MUST have a definitive answer to your question, then the answer is: 4683 rpm ........................... Oh, and BTW, (This last statement is a JOKE!)
Old 08-24-2004, 07:44 AM

I think you've answered your own question....if your car seems to shift smoother and easier at 4K than 3K, then shift at 4K. I find that 3500 or above gets the smoothest results.

The key point is to not just take your foot off the gas and try to shift as the engine slows towards idle speed. For normal suburban driving (not racing or showing off), I get the best results by starting to shift at about 4.5K, and sliding into the next gear as I'm already coming back up through about 3000 - 3500. Once I figured that out, I never again experienced anything that could be described as "notchy", or grinding, or hard shifting when cold, or any of the other things that many have complained about.

With regard to a previous comment about so many S2K owners not being manual shift experts -- I've been driving sticks for over 35 years -- '68 spitfire, '77 TR7, '83 Civic, '88 RX-7, '02 S2K. Each one was a little different, and required a bit of "learning" to find where the sweet spots were.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:56 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by baritone,Aug 24 2004, 09:44 AM
The key point is to not just take your foot off the gas and try to shift as the engine slows towards idle speed.
I'm sure it's in the wording, but your quoted sentence, as it stands is misleading and I'd like to point out the flaw. You can clear it up if you wish.

If you do not take your foot off the gas when shifting, the rpm will never drop down (slow to idle speed). Try it sometime --- just drive along at steady speed even (it's worse if you are accelerating) and then just push the clutch in. If you don't change anything with your gas foot, once you disconnect the load from the engine (clutch in), the engine will speed up because at the same throttle position (not taking your foot off the gas), the rpm will rise due to no load being present.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:16 AM

Thanks Baritone, your post was helpful. I've had 2 RX7's, a Prelude, jetta turbo, civic, a couple of trucks, and two motorcycles and the shift points have been different on all of them. The S2000 has different characteristics then anything I've ever driven, still learning a lot about the car every day.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:47 AM

Well, back on topic. How in the hell does bogging the car hurt the diff?
Old 08-24-2004, 11:57 AM

bogging could be bad for the diff due to the gears slapping back and forth. It can't be good for the crankshaft as well.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:24 PM

thanks to everyone who's made a comment, even the flaming one. but you just can't expect everyone to be advanced or perfect manual transmission drivers simply because they own an s2000; nor is it a prerequisite to owning one (as someone stated above). moreover, i would bet that the majority of drivers who can drive a manual transmission car probably cannot double clutch, heel-toe, or execute other advanced techniques correctly. so if you're just a naturally good stick-shift driver, kudos to you; but is it so bad to help out the rest of us who aren't as gifted?

anyhow, i will have to conclude from the fact that no one commented heavily on the 'damage to car' part of the question to mean that it does very little damage--to the point where i don't have to be concerned about a few rumbling starts here and there. let me know if i am wrong. thanks again.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:36 PM

Hi xviper -

Sorry I was not more clear.

You're right, of course. I didn't mean to suggest not letting up on the gas at all. What I meant was that many people simply let up on the gas totally, and don't engage their right foot again until they've completed the shift -- by which time the revs may have dropped to 500 - 1000 RPM.

I find the shifter to be incredibly smooth if I keep the engine speed from dropping below 3500 or so -- even when I first start out in the morning. Doing that also makes any question about "bogging" somewhat academic

Quick Reply: bogging the engine is how bad?