S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

bogging the engine is how bad?

Old 08-23-2004, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bogging the engine is how bad?

ok... so i've spent nearly an hour reading about proper launch technique and not bogging the engine so as to not put undue pressure on the rear differential/tranny/engine. but my question is not necessarily related to racing my car. what i want to know is what kind of damage (i suppose it would be in the long run) does making the engine rumble/bog/buck/shake at the start by not giving it enough gas cause (on a normal, easy start)? everytime this happens (which seems to happen to me about once every time i drive my car) i feel like the engine will eventually fall off its mounts.

here's what i do:

at the start, i start to ease off the clutch to about its friction point and start to add gas then (so that the rpm does not go up and then back down--causing the least amount of slippage of the clutch). when i do this correctly (the majority of the time) i get a perfect launch/start, but a little too little gas and the engine rpm will drop to below 500 and start to rumble a whole lot.

so someone please tell me, is this something i should be concerned about and consequently should i play it safer by adding a little gas even before beginning to ease off the clutch and allow it to slip more? is my technique in question? and if so what can i do to improve my technique? THANKS in advance for all your great advice and wisdom.
Old 08-23-2004, 06:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what can i do to improve my technique?
Practice, practice, practice. Familiarity will make clutch coordination second nature. I don't think you'll do much damage to the car bogging occasionally, but technique counts.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by preppyS2000,Aug 23 2004, 07:36 PM
THANKS in advance for all your great advice and wisdom.
That may be a little premature, but I will give it a shot.

Practice is everything. Somewhere between frying the clutch and bogging the engine is where you want to be. It really depends on the situation as to which end of that balance you want to be on. On a faster start I use more slippage and more RPMs with a faster clutch engagement and on an easy start lower RPMs can be maintained with a much slower engagement. Be aware that the term "launch" is generally reserved for very aggressive starts that include some wheelspin. In the S, this usually means dumping the clutch hard while at the lower end of VTEC engagement (ie. 6000+ RPM in the pre-04 model). Also, keep in mind this is very hard on this particular car and many would advise against it (including Honda considering they engineered the clutch in the 04 to prevent hard starts). Do as you will and enjoy.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:12 PM

You'll be fine, you're just on the verge of stalling.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:01 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by preppyS2000,Aug 23 2004, 06:36 PM
when i do this correctly (the majority of the time) i get a perfect launch/start, but a little too little gas and the engine rpm will drop to below 500 and start to rumble a whole lot.
^ You just answered you own question. You already know how to do it right. Now you just have to learn how to do it right all the time.
Old 08-23-2004, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by apex2k,Aug 23 2004, 09:52 PM
Practice is everything. Somewhere between frying the clutch and bogging the engine is where you want to be.
This is real informative information

Old 08-23-2004, 11:16 PM

What is going on here? Everytime I really start to enjoy the S2000 I am reminded that the car is coveted by so many people that can't even drive a manual transmission. You would think that the S2000 would appeal to those who have graduated up the ladder of "sportcardom" and wanted something more connected for spirited driving. Sadly, it seems that many S2000 owners are just now learning how to shift.

So sad. This is not a blanket statement, obviously, because there are undoubtedly many on here who know how to drive ... but it bothers me nonetheless.

Gee, "PreppyS2000", maybe you should order an automatic transmission S2000. Or wait for the SMG version. All of the BMW guys who "think they can drive, but really can't" are opting for those.

WARNING! Do not pull up close to an S2000 when it is stopped on a hill. Driver is probably young, inexperienced, and new to manual transmission. And you know the S2000 e-brake doesn't hold very well.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:57 AM

go easy on the beav
Old 08-24-2004, 02:50 AM

Originally Posted by Honda 224 GTS,Aug 24 2004, 01:16 AM
What is going on here? Everytime I really start to enjoy the S2000 I am reminded that the car is coveted by so many people that can't even drive a manual transmission. You would think that the S2000 would appeal to those who have graduated up the ladder of "sportcardom" and wanted something more connected for spirited driving. Sadly, it seems that many S2000 owners are just now learning how to shift.

So sad. This is not a blanket statement, obviously, because there are undoubtedly many on here who know how to drive ... but it bothers me nonetheless.

Gee, "PreppyS2000", maybe you should order an automatic transmission S2000. Or wait for the SMG version. All of the BMW guys who "think they can drive, but really can't" are opting for those.

WARNING! Do not pull up close to an S2000 when it is stopped on a hill. Driver is probably young, inexperienced, and new to manual transmission. And you know the S2000 e-brake doesn't hold very well.
harsh...
Old 08-24-2004, 04:41 AM

yeah that comment is pretty much asswholish considering the symptoms he is describing could also be due to heat soak and even practiced manual drivers will have bogging happen to them because of that.

As far as driving manual cars are concerned, I grew up on corollas and an IMARK and several honda civic station wagons and accords that were all manual and they were way more forgiving than the S2K. The S is tricky and I dont think the statements made above are fairly given at all.

Why dont you try try to offer advice instead of flaming someone. Were you born a manual driver, I think not.

WDYGOAPHAGFY!

preppyS2000: the first two responses to your initial question cover everything I was going to state. Just concentrate on what you are doing when you have a good launch and repeat as often as possible.

Quick Reply: bogging the engine is how bad?