S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Body shop is holding my car, Help!

Old 01-29-2007, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Body shop is holding my car, Help!

On Jan 4th I got in a car accident with my 2 week old S.

Anyways I file the report and send it to the body shop.

Fast forward until now the supervisor calls me and says that they just found out the registered owner is someone else and the insurance is under my name. I explained to the guy that the agent was fully aware of that, yet he still insured me, he even gave me the evidence of insurance saying that the policy is effective so and so date.

Anyways they are holding the check for the body shop to "investigate"

Does the insurance really have any grounds to do this considering I have the evidence of insurance paper?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:04 PM

you need to read the papers you signed for the insurance and find out what they can and can't do. It i really depends on what company it was and what you papers you signed and agreed to. sorry its to vague to tell you anything...
Old 01-29-2007, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Gerald28,Jan 29 2007, 10:04 PM
you need to read the papers you signed for the insurance and find out what they can and can't do. It i really depends on what company it was and what you papers you signed and agreed to. sorry its to vague to tell you anything...
Regardless of what I signed, the agent was fully aware that the car wasn't under my name.

It's his job to determine whether or not to cover the vehicle, he chose to do so.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:10 PM

Received 228 Likes on 143 Posts

The body shop is going to keep the car until they get paid. It isn't their problem that the insurance agency has a mess to sort out now. Unfortunately, this puts you in a very bad situation.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Contact your insurance agent and let him get the ball rolling. You probably have a bill of sale so wouldn't that suffice?
The shop must be worried that you may be attempting to have someone elses car fixed on your insurance , the agent should be able to clear everything up.
BTW- Why didn't you have the car registered in your name?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by JackS,Jan 29 2007, 10:15 PM
Contact your insurance agent and let him get the ball rolling. You probably have a bill of sale so wouldn't that suffice?
The shop must be worried that you may be attempting to have someone elses car fixed on your insurance , the agent should be able to clear everything up.
BTW- Why didn't you have the car registered in your name?
I didn't have it in my name because of credit issues.

My agent is doing nothing to help me out.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:24 PM

Unless you commited fraud on your insurance application that should have nothing to do with repairing the car. What does the agent say when you ask that your car be repaired?
Old 01-29-2007, 09:26 PM

Yeah, body shop isn't really to blame here. They're not getting paid by the insurance company. I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing if I were in their shoes.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:10 PM

i'd have to say, the shop is able to hold the car until they get paid in full by either you (the owner) or the insurance company.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:11 PM

they usually have giant signs all over the place that say that they reserve the right to hold the vehicle until repairs are fully paid for.

Quick Reply: Body shop is holding my car, Help!