S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Black tape on windshield frame. Different from other threads.

Old 03-31-2002, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black tape on windshield frame. Different from other threads.

I now see the tape on the windshield. I'm going to leave it there for two reasons. One - I think the car looks good with it on. The contrast between the yellow and black IMO make the car look good. And two - could it be that Honda put the tape there as a protectant against chipping? I think it might be. Kind of like those film protectants for the light lenses and front body parts.
Old 03-31-2002, 05:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the black tape were threre to prevent chipping, why would they deny the protection to owners of black S2000s?

I've left mine on too.

Barry in Sheridan, Wyoming
Old 03-31-2002, 05:12 AM

Good point Barry. Maybe it's just an aesthetics thing. Since it is tape, the owner can either leave it on, like we did, or have the color of the car show. Personally, I like the black look. I know if I ever got a hardtop, it would be black. If I removed the tape, I think that would look strange.
Old 03-31-2002, 05:23 AM

Never knew I had the tape until reading the threads here. Red car, black top, the black windshield trim looks o.k., and I may as well leave it as is. Now, if I were interested in getting the red hard top, that might be a different story.
Old 03-31-2002, 05:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we just threw a hardtop on my car yesterday, and while none of the four s2k owners present had removed their tape, we all thought that it might really look to have it off with the hardtop on. i probably won't do it, but it will tempt me now and then i'm sure. if you kind of squint your eyes and let your imagination wander, i think you might agree that it would tie the top to the front of the car rather nicely.
Old 03-31-2002, 05:30 AM

Look at this thread from Jenner who removed the tape on a silver S2K.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=54237

Even with the top up (using your imagination), seems to me that this is a natural look and if honda sold the car this way, we would not comment on putting black tape on.
At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference but have also seen it done on a red S2K and looks great.

LondonR
Old 03-31-2002, 05:31 AM

Originally posted by DarioManfretti
... And two - could it be that Honda put the tape there as a protectant against chipping? I think it might be. Kind of like those film protectants for the light lenses and front body parts.
Just went out and bought several rolls of electrical tape. Going to cover front bumper, hood, front finders, side mirrors, and most importantly the windshield. I guess Honda forgot to cover these areas with tape to prevent chipping.
Old 03-31-2002, 12:39 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

DON'T REMOVE THE TAPE!!!
It holds the windshield in place!
Old 03-31-2002, 02:05 PM
Muz
Former Sponsor

I've left mine on too. It blends the black soft top nicely with the windshield frame as probably intended by the designers. The S2000 has a more upright windshield than most convertibles and removing the tape exaggerates this..... IMO
Old 03-31-2002, 03:04 PM

I'll leave mine on my Spa Yellow unless I pick up a hardtop along the way. I think it looks better with the tape removed with a hardtop installed, the color just flows better when it's not interrupted by black tape.

Quick Reply: Black tape on windshield frame. Different from other threads.