S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Black and Blue: the torture continues!

Old 10-09-2003, 11:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Black and Blue: the torture continues!

Dpes Berlina Black sound like Suzuka Blue to you? Neither does it to me.

I ordered my car on August 16, in Berlina Black - says so on the sales order.

MSRP, as I was first allocation buyer, and they would not wiggle. OK, got confirmed build date (9/16) etc.

Yesterday, I called the dealer, said that the price is official, and to work up my total so I can transfer the $$'s.

Today, I get a call from the Sales Manager, who says he messed up, and had ordered Suzuka Blue! Would I take SB?

Of course, I would not! So he says he will try to find a Berlina Black and swap it out for his SB. I said OK, but that I did not want a DX'd car, unless it went from truck to truck with very few miles. He is working on it.

I told them that if they cannot produce a car by November, then I will wait until Spring, since I mothball the car all Winter, and that I just might decide to "shop around".

Unbelievable.

So I through in this: "If you are unable to locate the car I ordered, then we will have to re-negotiate either the price"; or ditch some of the extra accessories (car cover, shift knob, etc) that they insisted I purchase to pad the deal a bit.

One other thing - I told them that if they get the blue, I want to see it - my reason is simple: if they re-sold my car to spiff their profits, I will ask for major discount or I will be patient and price one from a dealer in, say, Williamsburg.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:39 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like they are messing with you. While it's possible they made a mistake on the color choice, some of the other stuff sounds VERY VERY shakey.

You should be able to get MUCH better than MSRP on the car. Especially at this time of year. It's headed into winter. The dealer gets HEAVY incentives to sell any car in less than 3 mos. If the car hits the showroom, they KNOW it will sit until spring (most likely.) You should get MORE of a discount because the car will be sold the day it arrives. Also the fact that they insisted you buy accessories from them as part of the deal is crap.

Find a new dealer. Get the car YOU want, and a good price. Then order your accessories from Hardtopguy or HandA.com
Old 10-09-2003, 12:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, dealers can do an "on-line swap". This is a system Honda has set-up that allows electronic swapping of allocated cars between dealers. So it comes off the boat- straight to your deler. No flatbedding involved. This is how I'm getting my Siverstone. They, too, are swapping a blue for it.

My deal is $1k. over invoice (so far) with no fees so I believe you can do better as well.

Cheers
Old 10-09-2003, 12:49 PM

The dealer either messed up your order or, more likely, sold the car to someone else. Just wait a month and some '04's will be available for less than MSRP, without all the dealer add-ons. No need to be loyal to the local dealer. Look into buying a few 100 miles away if you have not already. If you left a deposit, that is fully refundable, no matter what a dealer might say.

Good luck and we expect a review once you buy
Old 10-09-2003, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ruexp67
Sounds like they are messing with you.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:54 PM

Prices do vary by region, no doubt. If you have to have first dibs, you will pay, but you will PLAY!
Old 10-09-2003, 01:04 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Road Rage
Old 10-09-2003, 01:05 PM

PM Rick Hesel and ask him who he deals with a Atrim Way Honda. I'll bet they would make a deal with you. (Fall Colors sponser and all.)
Old 10-09-2003, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Road Rage
do you really think a first allocation shipment of a limited availability car will do much better?
Sure the S2000 is a limited availability car, but you must remember that the market is thin both ways. This was not always the case. When the car first came out, demand was way high resulting in high prices. Now the demand has fallen off and dealers are having trouble selling them. As far a car redesigns go, the changes are minor (yes, major to us here, but minor to the car buying public). The only effect that they will have on demand is to draw in some attention that will keep it from continuing to fall off for a while. The end of the year is the perfect time to buy because the dealers don't want to pay inventory interest on a car that they may have to hold on to until spring. I think that they are screwing with you. You can take it as an opportunity to work a better deal with someone that is honest.

Also, in my four year search (yes, four years!) to get an S2000 at invoice, I found a wide discrepancy in prices from dealer to dealer. There were certain dealers in Atlanta that were able to continuously get sticker or more for theirs and others had a harder time selling them. Don't let high quotes discourage you. I just kept telling each one that I talked to that I would buy when they would sell at invoice and finally one gave me a call.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:24 PM
R11

Worst case, fly out there to pick it up and drive it back. Great way to get the break-in miles out of the way.
When I bought my first MR2 Spyder in April 00 I flew to LA and drove it back home to Portland, OR just because the lowest I could get any of the dealers here down to was 3K over MSRP. Got it for MSRP in LA, had a nice adventure and with about 1000 miles between the two, even got to redline it before I got home from the dealer . All in about 24 hours too.

ron

Quick Reply: Black and Blue: the torture continues!