S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

black/black s2000s in summer

Old 11-05-2002, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default black/black s2000s in summer

after doing some research, i've determined that s2000 is one of the best deals out there.
i'm looking to get one in black/black, but i've never owned a convertible before. do i need
to be cautious about how hot the car will get in summer? any feedback from black/black
owners is welcome (or others!). i'm getting excited about getting an '03.
Old 11-05-2002, 07:14 AM

it gets pretty damn hot in the black/black i must say. You might want to look into something for covering the shift knob (baseball cap will suffice). If it doesn't make you paranoid, you can crack your windows on those hot days, helps a little. Not to mention you can just drop the top to let all the hot air out when you get in it. I live in Texas, so it gets pretty hot down here. But I would say that the black/black combo is hot, but not to the point you can't deal with it.

if it's the color combo you want, go for it...don't settle for your second choice. post pisc when you get the new ride! PAYCE...
Old 11-05-2002, 07:30 AM

yeah having a blk/blk does get hot in the summer. But the interior gets just as hot as it would in any other color with black interior. I love my blk/blk and it doesn't get to the point that I can't tolerate it.
Old 11-05-2002, 08:52 AM

Black cars:
1. Get pretty damn hot in the summer.
2. Get dirty incredibly fast. (if you live in a dusty climate, think 15 minutes)
3. look very nice while they are clean.

Personally, I'll never own another black car - its just too much of a pain to keep clean, and living in CA, black is too hot.
Old 11-05-2002, 09:42 AM

Um...you're in Vancouver, Wash. It doesn't stay hot long enough there to worry about it.

I had a black RX-7 Convertible for ten years here in the South. If it's that hot, just pop the top and in 30 seconds it won't matter.

Or, if you prefer, the air conditioner works very fast in such a small cockpit.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:04 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i have a black/black and only run the a/c to keep it working (have never needed it on). my car stays covered usually if i am not in it, so the only chance it has to get hot is driving in the sun... and so far (after 2 years) it has never gotten uncomfortable. i live and drive mainly near the beach in so calif, so that might have something to do with my experience- but i assume that if i ever got too hot i would just turn on the a/c (yes, top down).
Old 11-05-2002, 10:25 AM

yeah, i agree.. its a bit hotter and harder to maintian, but black/black looks sweeet.. my advicce is get some sun shades for when u park outside.. makes a world of difference..
Old 11-05-2002, 10:56 AM

Black is the fastest color. Everyone knows that.
Old 11-05-2002, 10:56 AM

Keep in mind, most references to the shifter knob would not (necessarily) be relevant to an '03. Both '00 and '01 models had a solid metal knob. '02 introduced a knob that has leather wrapped around the metal. You will be able to touch the leather part without getting burned.
Old 11-05-2002, 12:04 PM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Shift knob gets hot. Seats get hot. Paint gets hot. If you like black, get it but if you like another color I would pick that one instead. This is my first black car and will be my last. Paint is hard to detail. Every little scratch/swirl is noticeable and it looks dirty 10 minutes after you wash it. My silver S4 looks clean all the time.

Quick Reply: black/black s2000s in summer